Financial Fair Play/Financial Report (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Financial Fair Play will not affect us.

fbloke said:
abu13 said:
I'm no cynic said:
Out of interest, is there anything in the regulations to prevent a player's wages, or his transfer fee for that matter, from being paid by an outside source rather than a club directly? As long as a club is the registered holder of that player's registration, and the monies are duly paid, in full and on time to the recipients, it would certainly make a huge difference to the books of the clubs who choose to work in this way.

This is something i have wondered to, it wasn't too long ago that the rags believed they were going to re sign the ladyboy and there were all sorts of stories that Nike may fund a large portion of his wages. Obviously he is one of their worldwide figure heads and they would want to keep him playing for a club who wear Nike kits, but surely there must be something to stop this. I understand that there can not be any third party ownership of players but what would happen if we went for Messi on the basis we pay him 50k per week and our good sheik said he wanted him to head up an advertising campaign for Abu Dhabi tourism board for which he would be paid a further 300k per week?

Could this be stopped?

3rd party ownership is not allowed in the PL.

But would it actually be 3rd party ownership? Yes, if that 3rd party has any say in the player's contract as to when and where that player should play, but if that player is being asked to perform outside commercial ventures to boost his earnings, surely it would be a No?

I'm sure there would be less of a 3rd party interference with an arrangement like this than the interference of agents who have no interest in anything other than their own pockets, and we've had to suffer these 'legal' 3rd parties on a good few occasions over the years.

I'm no cynic said:
fbloke said:
abu13 said:
This is something i have wondered to, it wasn't too long ago that the rags believed they were going to re sign the ladyboy and there were all sorts of stories that Nike may fund a large portion of his wages. Obviously he is one of their worldwide figure heads and they would want to keep him playing for a club who wear Nike kits, but surely there must be something to stop this. I understand that there can not be any third party ownership of players but what would happen if we went for Messi on the basis we pay him 50k per week and our good sheik said he wanted him to head up an advertising campaign for Abu Dhabi tourism board for which he would be paid a further 300k per week?

Could this be stopped?

Any '3rd party' who provide a financial incentive to a player in any form would have influence over that player.

But would it actually be 3rd party ownership? Yes, if that 3rd party has any say in the player's contract as to when and where that player should play, but if that player is being asked to perform outside commercial ventures to boost his earnings, surely it would be a No?

I'm sure there would be less of a 3rd party interference with an arrangement like this than the interference of agents who have no interest in anything other than their own pockets, and we've had to suffer these 'legal' 3rd parties on a good few occasions over the years.

fbloke said:
I'm no cynic said:
fbloke said:
Any '3rd party' who provide a financial incentive to a player in any form would have influence over that player.

If his commercial ventures are expected to affect match results, that is interference, but I don't see a player wearing a City strip and extolling tourism as interference, any more so than Joe Hart affecting the result of any game by modelling.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-11-21/six-teams-facing-uefa-financial-fair-play-investigations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.itv.com/sport/football/artic ... tigations/</a>

I also noticed this about the Rags on the same page :

Manchester United's executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward says he is "excited" by BT Sport's deal for Champions League television rights as the club announced record quarterly revenues.

United's revenues rose by 29.1 per cent to £98million for the first quarter of this financial year thanks to new sponsorship deals and the effect of the new Premier League TV rights deals.

Woodward said BT Sport's success in outbidding Sky and ITV to land the 2015-2018 Champions League rights would see clubs' incomes increase still further.

He said: "We are excited by the continuing rise in the value of sports content, evidenced, amongst other things, by the recently-announced BT deal for the UK rights to broadcast the Champions League and Europa League matches for three seasons from 2015-16.

"This deal represents a meaningful increase over the current arrangement, which should translate into higher broadcasting revenues for the participating clubs."

The Premier League deal has seen United's broadcasting income rise by 40.9 per cent, but even that has been outstripped by the club's growth in commercial income of 62.6 per cent with 12 new sponsorship deals including a global contract with Russian airline Aeroflot.

Woodward added: "We are pleased to have achieved another record first quarter, driven by the strength of our commercial business and increased broadcasting revenues.

"Our unique approach to the commercial business will continue to drive future growth."

oakiecokie said:
I also noticed this about the Rags on the same page :

Manchester United's executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward says he is "excited" by BT Sport's deal for Champions League television rights as the club announced record quarterly revenues.

United's revenues rose by 29.1 per cent to £98million for the first quarter of this financial year thanks to new sponsorship deals and the effect of the new Premier League TV rights deals.

Woodward said BT Sport's success in outbidding Sky and ITV to land the 2015-2018 Champions League rights would see clubs' incomes increase still further.

He said: "We are excited by the continuing rise in the value of sports content, evidenced, amongst other things, by the recently-announced BT deal for the UK rights to broadcast the Champions League and Europa League matches for three seasons from 2015-16.

"This deal represents a meaningful increase over the current arrangement, which should translate into higher broadcasting revenues for the participating clubs."

The Premier League deal has seen United's broadcasting income rise by 40.9 per cent, but even that has been outstripped by the club's growth in commercial income of 62.6 per cent with 12 new sponsorship deals including a global contract with Russian airline Aeroflot.

Woodward added: "We are pleased to have achieved another record first quarter, driven by the strength of our commercial business and increased broadcasting revenues.

"Our unique approach to the commercial business will continue to drive future growth."

Whether we like it or not the swamp is a cash machine. And a fucking big one!

But it's fine, because they earn all their money from purely footballing activities. No tenuous links to airlines or paint companies at all.

Bottomless_Sailor said:
http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-11-21/six-teams-facing-uefa-financial-fair-play-investigations/

UEFA need to retain the support of the European Commission for FFP. They wont have a problem with that while sanctions are directed at clubs that fail to pay the bills.

The issue of punishing clubs that make losses is a different kettle of fish. I can see the EU supporting sanctions against clubs that make big losses without making any attempt to get those losses down. But not a club like City that make losses before becoming profitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.