First Away Game

Wolves away 1978
Drew 1-1
Bell equaliser
It was kicking off before, during and probably after
Vintage 1970s aggro
I had a great view from the seats

Palace away, 2-2, last game of the season 89/90. Can still vividly remember how warm it was that day and walking back to the car with my dad.

I still regret going to that game.

I’d met a very attractive young lady the week before and she wouldn’t give me her number but said she’d take mine.

She rang me in the week and asked if I wanted to go out on the Saturday. Had to say.. Sorry, I’m going to Palace but I’m definitely interested.

Not heard from or seen her since.

Probably time to move on now I guess.

Sheffield United in the FA Cup, the infamous balloon game. Parents took me. Was 13, I think.

Had a pretty sad experience after the game was done. Walked out of the away end straight into a brawl onto Bramall Lane itself. Our car was parked down on the industrial estate to the south of the ground but there was loads of fighting in between. We turned round to the steward - just my parents and me, a little scrawny 13 year-old - and asked if we could take shelter on the concourse until the violence was done. He said "No" and put his arms across the entire doorway to stop us getting in. Sent us north round the other side of the stadium and through more clashes with fans and police before we eventually got to the car and drove away. Put me off away games for absolutely ages.

First away game on my own was when we went down to Leicester in the FA Cup in 2011, the Neil Young game where we all had the black and red scarves. Quite an emotional day considering we were playing Leicester as well. After that, I only did a couple more away games and they were both during the first title-winning season, 11/12. Bolton away, the 3-2 win when Dzeko scored and Tevez got booed onto the pitch at the end (the Reebok is a shithole and I never want to go back). And Wigan away, the 1-0 win when Dzeko scored that header in freezing conditions. Just stopped bothering after that because you needed astronomical amounts of loyalty points and all the Lancashire teams (Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan) got relegated and some health issues meant it wasn't as easy to travel.

Last edited:
Portsmouth away 1985...massive game...as our patched up injured side clung on to the faltering promotion push...that Paul Simpson lob that took about 3 weeks to go over Alan Knights head into the net..

Was that the game where they decided to interview Alan Ball right in front of the away end after the game, with predictable comedy accompaniment from the City fans still locked in?

United, League Cup 1974 - 0-1 - first in a long line of disappointing defeats to lower division opposition and I've still never been at that place to see us win.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.