First ever City game

Your First City Game....

Inspired in part by the 'pictures of city fans' thread, time for some more nostalgia. What was your first City game. I am sure everyone remembers the first time they went to Maine Road/ The Etihad; who was it against, what do you remember of the day?

My first game was in 1996- I was 7, and it was the final game of that season- yep, the 2-2 against Liverpool. My first game, we were relegated; this was probably an indication of what my first few years as a City fan would be like.

I actually remember none of the game. Not sure if that is because I was 7, or because I probably couldn't see any of it with everyone standing up. I remember the rest of the day pretty vividly, but the game- don't remember it one bit!

Though I'm a massive believer in the idea that where we were in 1996 (for example) bears no relevance to where we are now- we may as well be different clubs, it is nice, for a bit of nostalgia to look back. I remember a few years ago I had a conversation with my Dad about if City will ever win anything in his lifetime (he was probably 50 at the time): we decided it was unlikely, and we definitely wouldn't win the league. Would we win the league in my lifetime?.....probably not.

Sounds like a dramatic conversation, probably after a dire game during the Pearce 'era' but at the time that's what it felt like.

Sat 02 Mar BLACKBURN ROVERS H League D 1-1 Maine Road

That was mine, sat on the scaffolding. My nans brother took me (a spurs fan) and something just clicked. All my family are scum fans but from that day on i was city, took some stick for that. My brother was 2 at the time so slowly moulded him into a blue too, result.

brummie blue said:
What a brilliant feature, credit and thanks to all those who've added it to the site.

was very easy for me to find my first game:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=3182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/ ... px?id=3182</a>

West Bromwich Albion (H)
Division One (Old)
Sat 20 November 1976.
Score: W 1-0
Attendance: 36656

Me too!

Corrected.....
Freds Patio said:
October 24th 1994, City 5-2 Spurs, Kippax Stand. A Leeds bloke in a tracksuit gave me £10 in the Parkside, for doing a weird dance with my shirt over my head. Was 3 at the time

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=3653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/ ... px?id=3653</a>

This was my first game....been in England for a week having travelled from Aus ( moved to aus when I was 3 with my family ). Next day was at Wembley for the Full Memmbers Cup.

I was stood in the Stretford End with my cousins...dirty toe rags, could only get a ticket off a tout so had to go with them.

Shitting bricks when we scored and equalised.

Can just about remember watching city play at home for various matches early sixties. Sat at the top centre of the Platt Lane on the old bench seats. Clear memories of us going down in 63. Strongest memories are of Bert Trautmanns Testimonial match. Night match, big crowd and a pitch invasion. Did Bert take a penalty? and did Matthews play? First away match away at Everton in the cup 1966. Night match and 2nd replay at Goodison. Think we lost 2-0 but Goodison was posh and ready for the world cup. Great memories and the start of a long long journey. I wear the 56 cup final shirt to matches to remind me of my first ever Blue Hero - Mr Bert Trautmann.

West Ham @ Home March 1970

Lost 1-5

Famous for Big Joe taking his goal kick from the North Stand End,and one Ronnie Boyce of WHU Volleying it back over his head from the half way line,what an introduction to the Whacky World of City,Also the great Bobby Moore,Geoff Hurst,Peters,Greaves et al.A real good memory-esp Bobby Moore for me Englands Best Defender Ever,watch his tackle on Pele in the WC70 Total Class

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.