First Game, Traveling Down From Edinburgh (Football Tourist alert)

I'd just like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread, your comments have been extremely helpful, and most of all friendly.

I've even managed to snag a couple of tickets at face value from a very kind forum member who messaged me directly.

You're a credit to your team!

The Travelodge at Ashton Under Lyne, right off the motorway, and literally outside is the tram stop that takes you right to the Etihad stadium. A great pub opposite with good food, a carvery and a mile up the road is the usual out of town shopping and food outlets.

Are you after saving money or having a good time?

If you want to make the most of it definitely stay in the City Center the pubs, bars and restaurants on matchday are great.

Northern Quarter and Ancoats before the game won’t go far wrong.

Drive down get off at junction 20 on the m60. Stay here, park on the ncp on shudehill

Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre - Arena, an IHG Hotel​

I assume you are referring to the Ibis Budget at New Islington. It’s not bad if rather basic but there isn’t anywhere to eat near there.

Hi There,

I'm considering buying my son tickets for the Everton Game on boxing day as a Christmas present. We'll be traveling down from Edinburgh, by car most likely, on the day of the match, and I have a couple of questions.

Does anyone have any experience of using after sales sites for matches at the Etihad, and are any better than others? I'm currently looking at 2 from StubHub.ie in section 240 (shortside upper tier) which I assume is with home supporters.

I need a hotel for a night after the game and was considering either the Ibis or Leonardo as they are closest to the ground. Is this is an OK area to stay for access to food and for parking my car over night?

Cheers C

Just thought I'd mention that they'll do you basic food right there. It's not great — a basic pizza, etc. But it is food. They have beers and mineral water and suchlike in the fridge to have with it.
It's true there's nothing much round there, but if he's got the legs, he could walk up Great Ancoats St to Shudehill, and eat at one of the best Italian places I've come across in the UK. The Pasta Factory. Very, very friendly people, too. Authentically Italian. It's not really a long walk, I don't think. But then, I walk.
Actually, just noticed that he mentioned Boxing Day. That's going to be a tough call for anywhere, in my opinion.

Are you after saving money or having a good time?

If you want to make the most of it definitely stay in the City Center the pubs, bars and restaurants on matchday are great.

Northern Quarter and Ancoats before the game won’t go far wrong.

Drive down get off at junction 20 on the m60. Stay here, park on the ncp on shudehill

Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre - Arena, an IHG Hotel​

Agree with this, especially in the light of what I've said above. I would think that the ncp bumps up expenses overnight by a fair bit? I don't run a car, haven't done for years, and certainly never parked overnight in a UK city since the 1990s. So I've really got no idea what kind of expense is incurred.

I travel up from Devon, no trains on Boxing Day so my ticket will go on the ticket exchange and maybe families are in the same situation , could be worth a look.

Question. When did they start that? Has it always been the case?
I remember I trekked up from London on National Express for the match against Liverpool on Boxing Day 2013. Bit of a hike, but I didn't regret it. What a match!

Leanardo is perfect
Ibis is ok
Teavelodge basic
Premier Inn at Piccadilly v good
If game is on that date and no trains from Edinburgh then I will have 2 spare tickets
Keep in touch but DONT spend silly money on a ticket site
I just noticed this thread.
I think it's worth mentioning that there are 2 Leonardos in Manchester.
I found this out to my cost last year when I arrived nice and early to meet some Americans only to discover they were on Great Bridgewater St not the one just off Gt Ancoats St.
They both looked pretty good though.

Question. When did they start that? Has it always been the case?
I remember I trekked up from London on National Express for the match against Liverpool on Boxing Day 2013. Bit of a hike, but I didn't regret it. What a match!

There’s been virtually no trains on Boxing Day as far as my memory goes back.

I think they usually run a bit of a service to Heathrow Airport and possibly a couple of other major airports.

The only other services I’ve heard of on Boxing Day is Northern Rail tried some weird little shuttle service between I think Bolton and Salford Central a few years ago. But I think the staff were the only people on them.

Agree with this, especially in the light of what I've said above. I would think that the ncp bumps up expenses overnight by a fair bit? I don't run a car, haven't done for years, and certainly never parked overnight in a UK city since the 1990s. So I've really got no idea what kind of expense is incurred.

There’s some cheaper further up uncovered opposite the Marble Arch (best pub in town)

Not sure how secure and its a 5 min walk i’d say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.