First game....

I can’t remember mine. The Bell comeback one was one of them but doubt it was the first. I think 1976/1977 was the season as I remember watching the 76 League cup final and knew my dad was there but don’t remember going to a game before that. Think it may have been the season after. The Bell game was my first memory.

Guess what mine was ? Yeah live on the coast and also follow Fleetwood those days in the northern prem. Dad mad keen blue from Whaley Range. At school with a blue originally from Midtown only blues in a school full of dippers and Rags. We decided to go to the Spurs FA cup quarter final. I was 12 very nervous going with my 13 year old mate. Rags at home to Everton same day over 100,000 people watched football in Manchester that day. Atmosphere unbelievable, won one nil with a late goal I think by Francis Lee hooked then forever . Regret since the move to the Etihad have become largely arm chair with a season ticket at Fleetwood Town but blues always my first love.

Guess what mine was ? Yeah live on the coast and also follow Fleetwood those days in the northern prem. Dad mad keen blue from Whaley Range. At school with a blue originally from Midtown only blues in a school full of dippers and Rags. We decided to go to the Spurs FA cup quarter final. I was 12 very nervous going with my 13 year old mate. Rags at home to Everton same day over 100,000 people watched football in Manchester that day. Atmosphere unbelievable, won one nil with a late goal I think by Francis Lee hooked then forever . Regret since the move to the Etihad have become largely arm chair with a season ticket at Fleetwood Town but blues always my first love.
Moston not midtown, bloody predictive text

My first City game was at Maine Road, on the 14 Oct 1969 , against Everton in the League Cup 4th round , we won the game 2-1 ....... we had beaten Liverpool 3-2 at Maine Road in the previous round, and our chances of success were looking increasingly good .... and so it proved , we actually won the Cup that season!

Geez, so hard to believe that was 50 years ago , and i had only just left short troosers!

p_00207688_6008675.jpg

Last edited:
Forty years ago today, on 1st November 1980, was my first visit to Maine Road. My parents were newly separated and Dad was looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon. I liked football but had been more into cricket so didn't have a team of my own as such, even at 15. City were bottom of the old First Division but the team played with great spirit. What grabbed me most was the fans, chanting "We love you City we do" to a team that was rock bottom in the league. Paul Power, Dave Bennett, Nicky Reid, Joe Corrigan and one Gerry Gow, making his debut, stood out to me. Particularly Gerry Gow. Dave Bennett missed a good chance but Paul Power scored the winner and everyone went home happy. The fans, the players, the ground, the aroma of soup, pies, beer and tobacco were a heady mix that I will never forget. I was bitten by the bug that day. I wanted more. I wanted to be one of those fans. Despite the mostly thin and thinner of the first 28 years, 5 relegations, 5 promotions and the latent success of the last 10 years, I've never regretted a moment. The lows, as painful as they were, have made the highs that bit better. Thanks Dad even if you're no longer with us. Here's to a few years more...

What was your first game? What grabbed you!? Maybe you were already a Blue.

Thanks Ric, Gary, Colin and co for this site. Love it.
Great post mate. There is so much downbeat moaning drivel on this site, it was nice to read that

November 1970
City 1 Derby 1
Someone on City's board was trying to get my dad to move up North and work for them. He promised to let me go into the tunnel at half time and meet my heroes. Half time came and I got the call. But, something occurred that even to this day I deeply regret, I froze and fear over came me and i turned down the chance. My 8 year old self had given up the opportunity to meet Colin bell and I still haven't forgiven him!

1983 when we got relegated by Luton. Cried all the way home in the car, set the tone for the next 25 years.

1971. 3-1 home defeat to forest. Score didn’t matter it was the noise and characters of the crowd that hooked me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.