Football Governance Bill (Independent Regulator) introduced today

It is a fact that they have stricter controls than the proposed new PL ones. Not an opinion, or assertion, it's a fact. They have stricter rules (ie they allow a lower % of spending to revenue) and in La Liga have active monitoring, where you have to prove you can afford a transfer before the player can register, not retrospective yearly checks.

So...once we've establised that, you should be able to work out that if those stricter rules are not preventing La Liga clubs from spending top wages or fees, nor are the more lenient ones being brought into the PL.

The Premier League has more money than anyone else. It's bringing in more lenient rules than anywhere else which will allow more money to be spent than anywhere else.

What you're doing is the equivalent of a German declaring everyone will leave to drive on UK motorways because the autobahn brought in a 100mph speed limit. The new "limit" is still higher than anywhere else.

No stakeholder in the Premier League is interested in allowing a system where the Premier League loses it's position of dominance, in fact, that's their main priority.
Completely disagree! Spain might have stricter rules but like EU fishing quotas their policing turn a blind eye.

Best leave it there. More regulation is never a good thing. Giving money away is never a good idea!

I think this is unlikely, Kippax. As bobbyowenquiff says, it is one of the few things the Tories and Labour agree on and one element that has cross party support is that City are a model for other clubs to imitate ie high investment with an emphasis on investment in the community. This aim doesn't seem to be helped by the PL's restrictive rules since investment can only come out of profits which can only come from hiring good players and playing football that people want to watch. This is also the answer to those who argue that all the club's profits must be used to keep ticket prices low: the club should invest for the benefit of the community, not just for a privileged group of ticket buyers.
The Goverment fired enough warning shots over the PL but Masters treated them with contempt. Labour, like the Tories, are desperate to attract overseas investment because the counry is on its knees. I am generally sceptical about independent regulation because it has failed in most other industries.
However the PL leadership launched a four/five year politically-motivated witchunt against our owner and it looks like it has been based on malicious gossip with no solid evidence. Sheikh Mansour has invested a huge amount of his personal wealth in the UK including bailing out our banks. Meanwhile the UAE Government is one of our biggest tradiing partners and a key security ally in the fight against Islamist terrorism. This is the backdrop.

Last edited:
Well City were all for a new regulator. And hopefully this ends the inference from the red tops
The independent regulator could well be one of the jokers who have been spouting shite pre- and post-match for the last weeks or so. Wonder what the major qualification would be? Someone from football, ex-player, someone who's never seen a football match. If I didn't have to find VAT they're gonna chuck on school fees (joke!) I'd have a little flutter on one Gary Neville getting the gig. He's been cosying up to Sir Starmer during the election campaign.

I think there is a simple,uncomplicated answer to new owners being accepted (from a financial standpoint only). A minimum of 50% of previous years costs put in a secure holding account by the incumbent new owner. The monies held have to be held as designated share capital, for a minimum period (say two or three years). If things start to go pear shaped monies have be used to steady the waters. Any draw down puts the club in ‘special measures’ with new owner forced to put the club on the market. Any new owner has to adhere to the above. Might not solve all the problems, but would show serious intent and a cushion for the club.

A lot will depend on how the regulator establishes and defines 'sustainability', 'competitiveness' and attitude to debt with regard to these and 'financial soundness'.
We're City the only club to vote for an IR, if that's the case and we're getting one, then I would think somewhere along the line we have some influence.
Take it all back if it turns out to be ratboy.

Regulator bill announced today in King’s speech.
That should annoy the red teams.
You really think the red teams won't be colluding to get the regulator they want?
Wouldn't surprise me if it was someone with strong connections to rags, dipper or arse. Or mighty trophy-laden Spurs of course. See ESL teams as an example.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.