Football Governance Bill (Independent Regulator) introduced today

I’d love to know how you’ve worked that out given we still don’t actually know what powers the regulator will actually have, or how effective they will be at using those powers.

It reminds me a lot of how some posters were adamant the proposed new PSR rules would destroy the Premier League and see La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga overtake us ….despite the fact anyone who pays attention to those leagues already knows all of them already have more strict, more punishing versions of what was being proposed for the PL.

It’s just a blind guess wrapped up in doom mongering

Let me start to answer your question with a question!

Do you really believe we would see the best players in the World choosing the EPL if we did not pay the best wages or the clubs pay the highest transfer fees?

Sending money down the pyramid will reduce the EPL clubs ability to do that. That money will simply end up in the pockets of players lower down the pyramid. It will not stop clubs going out of business either.

The PSR rules are already hold back ambitious clubs.....ask Newcastle, Forest and Everton fans.

I have to laugh at your assertion that foreign leagues have striter rules. Madrid, PSG, Bayern buy at the top table and even broke Barca are still paying top wages.

I have to laugh at your assertion that foreign leagues have striter rules. Madrid, PSG, Bayern buy at the top table and even broke Barca are still paying top wages.

It is a fact that they have stricter controls than the proposed new PL ones. Not an opinion, or assertion, it's a fact. They have stricter rules (ie they allow a lower % of spending to revenue) and in La Liga have active monitoring, where you have to prove you can afford a transfer before the player can register, not retrospective yearly checks.

So...once we've establised that, you should be able to work out that if those stricter rules are not preventing La Liga clubs from spending top wages or fees, nor are the more lenient ones being brought into the PL.

The Premier League has more money than anyone else. It's bringing in more lenient rules than anywhere else which will allow more money to be spent than anywhere else.

What you're doing is the equivalent of a German declaring everyone will leave to drive on UK motorways because the autobahn brought in a 100mph speed limit. The new "limit" is still higher than anywhere else.

No stakeholder in the Premier League is interested in allowing a system where the Premier League loses it's position of dominance, in fact, that's their main priority.

I'm extremely worried about this development. I can imagine this regulatory board being headed up by some scouse Labour MP from Huyton or something with the sole priority being 'doing something about City'

The Government had no choice but to bring in independent regulation after the Super League farce and the ongoing corrupt antics of Masters and his cartel pals. It’s one of the few things the Tories and Labour agree on.
Other things that Labour and Tories agree on: Sancho is crap, Liz Truss was a disaster, TAA is useless in midfield.

I'm extremely worried about this development. I can imagine this regulatory board being headed up by some scouse Labour MP from Huyton or something with the sole priority being 'doing something about City'
No different to what we have now, but at least the new regulatory regime might prove to be better, it couldn’t be worse. Famous last words.

The Government had no choice but to bring in independent regulation after the Super League farce and the ongoing corrupt antics of Masters and his cartel pals. It’s one of the few things the Tories and Labour agree on.
I think this is unlikely, Kippax. As bobbyowenquiff says, it is one of the few things the Tories and Labour agree on and one element that has cross party support is that City are a model for other clubs to imitate ie high investment with an emphasis on investment in the community. This aim doesn't seem to be helped by the PL's restrictive rules since investment can only come out of profits which can only come from hiring good players and playing football that people want to watch. This is also the answer to those who argue that all the club's profits must be used to keep ticket prices low: the club should invest for the benefit of the community, not just for a privileged group of ticket buyers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.