Football Governance Bill (Independent Regulator)

There was an interesting discussion on this on Politics Live on BBC2 at lunchtime today.
Stella Creasy was the Labour representative in the discussion, and although she revealed herself to be a closet Scum supporter, she was very scathing towards the Glazers and club owners racking up huge amounts of debt in general.

Do you include Stefan Borson in your comments?

Everyone who is trying to develop a presence on social media, yes. They are free to do it, of course, and I don't blame anyone for trying it. It's just not for me.

Not sure what de Marco is trying to do, though. He is a leading sports barrister. Don't know why he needs an online presence at all, tbh.

Stella Creasy was the Labour representative in the discussion, and although she revealed herself to be a closet Scum supporter, she was very scathing towards the Glazers and club owners racking up huge amounts of debt in general.
Everyone usually is scathing about owners racking up debt but when there's been an opportunity to do something about it, with FFP, PSR, etc., they've kicked the can down the road because that's the last thing the clubs with those debts want.

That's why self-regulation doesn't work, as self-interest is often the driving factor.

Everyone usually is scathing about owners racking up debt but when there's been an opportunity to do something about it, with FFP, PSR, etc., they've kicked the can down the road because that's the last thing the clubs with those debts want.

That's why self-regulation doesn't work, as self-interest is often the driving factor.
I’ve said it before, so I’ll say it again: being a regulator while running a competition is a conflict of interest. See, eg, UEFA doing a deal with Bein Sports on tv rights while at the same time sitting in judgement on PSG on ffp.
The common denominator is el- Kelaifi. It helps both if M.Leterme is corruptly involved.

Everyone who is trying to develop a presence on social media, yes. They are free to do it, of course, and I don't blame anyone for trying it. It's just not for me.

Not sure what de Marco is trying to do, though. He is a leading sports barrister. Don't know why he needs an online presence at all, tbh.
Fair enough, I personally find their content helpful especially around complex legal issues and at least they provide balance to the client journo’s scribblings in support of the cartel.

There was an interesting discussion on this on Politics Live on BBC2 at lunchtime today.
Did she have her green and yellow scarf on.

Fair enough, I personally find their content helpful especially around complex legal issues and at least they provide balance to the client journo’s scribblings in support of the cartel.

Yes, of course. I didn't say I ignore their input at all. That would be stupid when they know a hundred times more about an issue than I do.

But I tend to treat opinions on Twitter less favourably than comments on here, for example, from people who are giving their opinions freely, devoid of any possible influence of concerns around engagement. I have said before that the best source of information and opinions on the APT and 115 cases is Bluemoon, and I stand by that.

At the end of the day, though, everybody has to determine which sources carry which weight, when making their minds up. The above is a factor in my determination.

Above all, though, I find it strange that de Marco is giving personal opinions on issues on social media when, one day, he may have to represent a party on such an issue, for or against. I can't see the need, as interesting as his opinions certainly are.

Logically formulated, clearly expressed and based firmly on the experience of attempts at "sustainability" we've all witnessed but you deserve credit, PB, for keeping it in the front of our minds that recent "attempts" have had nothing to do with sustainability. It's a point de Marco makes and points out that self-regulation not only promotes self-interest but has already led to the introduction of regulations which fall foul of competition law, through what Khaldoon described accurately as the tyranny of the majority. If the government is serious about regulation it will have to ensure that the regulator has the power to ensure that all new regulations are consistent with the law. Will the government have the appetite for putting its money where its mouth is? Or will we end up with at least 2 (conflicting?) regulatory regimes?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.