Football Tourists

Been going since got my first wage packet in 1978, no links with Manchester just liked City when going up watching them on tv in late 60s and early 70s, don't have Manc accent, hope I'm not a tourist anymore

First few years was leaving home Friday afternoon, overnight ferry to Liverpool, train to Manchester Saturday morning, few beer, game, train back to Liverpool, Saturday overnight ferry back to Belfast home Sunday afternoon - £15 return

So just because someone has a half and half scarf they can't be a true City/Arsenal/Spurs etc fan? I know some people who support City and have done so from afar for years but have not been able to get over for many games therefore when they come they like to take a half and half scarf back as a souvenir. Just saying like. :-)

Here's a thought. Why not just take back a 100% City scarf?

When city had been out of Europe for decades and returned loads of loyal local fans with high points bought half and half scarfs in Belgium, Poland, Schalke etc.

It is only when they started making them for domestic matches that got a bad rep, first time I saw one was Notts County away in 2011.

I have bought them in Europe in the last decade, and I'm sure I have been to a few more games than a Dutch 'fan' from the 70's glamour era.

We just love your silly accents!
Also know you just put them on for the tourists, there's no way anyone could sound that stupid without really trying

Coming over from Cork Sat morning for the Hull game with my two boys, 17 & 14, both City fans. Supported City all my life, even when all around me were Ushited or L'pool fans. Don't mind being called tourists as that's exactly what we'll be, taking selfies and grinning ear to ear just to be there and hopefully soaking up a brilliant atmosphere (no half n halves tho). On the Friday night we'll be at Cork City vs Derry City in the League of Ireland and if anyone is ever visiting they'd be more than welcome to watch a game. Any recommendations for matchday entertainment for two teenage boys welcome.
Good point. Also from Cork, and City fan since 1965. Have to to pay up to £ 200 to get flights & ticket + possible 100+ for night stay if needed. When I started supporting City in the 60' & 70's they were unheard of in Irish media (all Trafford/Ferry cross the Mersey and Celtic, I had to buy uk papers for any snippets of info on my heroes and try to tune in to BBC Light wave on saturdays. Now that City are known and loved worldwide and it is logical that more and more foreigners want to see their favourite team, bringing funds into the club and local economy. It is sickening to be treated with disdain by self appointed saviours of the the "locals" who want have all the benefits of a top 4 team without looking at the means of achieving that status. Short sighted dark ages thinking. Also remember a foreign visitor at their first City game is in, exactly the same position as a Manchester kid at its first game, make it an experience to encourage them to return and educate the xenophic narrow minds who regard anyone not born inside Maine Road or The Etihad as a sub-species.

The tickets might have been issued by Emirates Airlines.

As an expat, I'm constantly bombarded with emails asking if I'd like to use my loyalty points from their frequent flyer scheme to attend games at the Emirates.

If the blocks allocated to away fans have a larger capacity than the allocation to the away team, then the excess might be taken by those wanting to see a game on their travels. Just a thought.

So just because someone has a half and half scarf they can't be a true City/Arsenal/Spurs etc fan? I know some people who support City and have done so from afar for years but have not been able to get over for many games therefore when they come they like to take a half and half scarf back as a souvenir. Just saying like. :-)
Good point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.