Foreign Fans

Here is my story:
I grew up in Denmark in the 60ties and 70ties (yes I am old I know). Every Saturday a game from the English first division was broadcasted on the single national TV channel we could receive. A whole generation of Danish boys grew up with this, and grew into supporting different English teams. I started supporting City mainly because my best mate did. He had a sports bag with a picture of the City team which finished 2nd in 77, and I fell in love with the colors immediately. Once caught I could not escape. I think most football fans know this. So I kept supporting City from then on, all the way down and all the way back up.
I have since migrated to be living in Germany, but find myself as much in love with football and City as ever. I guess age does not make me wiser, in this respect.
I have never seen City live, because I have a problem with being in large groups of people. A stadium visit is very hard for me. I also don't like traveling very much.
Those things combined means that I prefer to follow the City games via TV or internet. I follow every single one of them.
Beside that I spend too much time on Bluemoon and other footballing websites. I only signed up for Bluemoon a couple of years ago, before that I was just a reader.
I probably spend more time thinking about City than about any other individual thing in my life. I guess this sounds sad, but it actually makes me happy.
Writing this makes me realize that I am quite a weirdo, but that's who I am.

Here is my story:
I grew up in Denmark in the 60ties and 70ties (yes I am old I know). Every Saturday a game from the English first division was broadcasted on the single national TV channel we could receive. A whole generation of Danish boys grew up with this, and grew into supporting different English teams. I started supporting City mainly because my best mate did. He had a sports bag with a picture of the City team which finished 2nd in 77, and I fell in love with the colors immediately. Once caught I could not escape. I think most football fans know this. So I kept supporting City from then on, all the way down and all the way back up.
I have since migrated to be living in Germany, but find myself as much in love with football and City as ever. I guess age does not make me wiser, in this respect.
I have never seen City live, because I have a problem with being in large groups of people. A stadium visit is very hard for me. I also don't like traveling very much.
Those things combined means that I prefer to follow the City games via TV or internet. I follow every single one of them.
Beside that I spend too much time on Bluemoon and other footballing websites. I only signed up for Bluemoon a couple of years ago, before that I was just a reader.
I probably spend more time thinking about City than about any other individual thing in my life. I guess this sounds sad, but it actually makes me happy.
If you think you are weirdo then you are in pretty good company here. Should honestly get yourself to a game one day though. There's nothing like it.

My story is pretty lame, didn't really follow football until my folks and I moved to Manchester when I was 14 from the states, we lived in Manchester for a year before moving to Aberdeen Scotland then back home after that. I was always the type of fan (even with my other sports teams) that always cheered for underdog teams. As like a lot of Americans you hear about Man U and most of the douchey soccer fans in the states are Man U fans so i naturally couldn't ever support them. At the time I think we were 16th in the table or something like that? Anelka was my favorite player back then. Times have changed however we are the big club now.

Good stuff mate.
We have played 2 friendly games this summer with 2am and 4am kick off times (UK time) and most 'die hard' Manc fans haven't set an alarm to watch them so dont let anyone say you arent dedicated when you'll have to do that over 10 times a season.
Thanks mate, appreciate it! PL games aren't bad cause they're on the weekends but midweek games are a woman, especially if you have to be up at 7 in the morning for work.

Not for me I'm afraid.

Modern football culture is rubbish. "Fans" latching into teams from the good leagues just because they might win things, not within my understanding. How many Yanks or Singaporeans support Burton Albion... and why?

Fans around the world should have more pride in where they come from and support the teams in their own local areas. World football would be better all round if that were the case.

Ask an Argentine or Brazilian who his "English team" is and he'd tell you to fuck off. They don't like that sort of thing there and I'm on the same level of reckoning.

But each to their own. Not saying everyone should stop glory supporting, it won't be reversed now, but I'll have you remember this; when we lose out on one of our home games from our SeasonCards because we've copied the NFL and taken a game abroad, it's because of this shit.

I have just posted this on another thread and because I don't often do serious type comment decided to pop it in this one two, okay here goes:

I always think it's a bit cruel how we seem to pick on City fans from another country like they have no right to be attracted to MCFC, I find it comical almost League of Gentlemenish "local club for local people".

Some of the poor sods are probably reading this thread and thinking 'I thought Mancs were suppossed to very friendly', by alienateing our selfs we are only undoing what City are trying to do and make us a big global brand.

I know what some people are scared that we will end up with a big bunch of fans with no idea of what happened to us two years previous, but we have a far reaching influence on here unlike the rags who got there fan base along time before Mr internet was world wide. What I'm trying to say is that we can influence the whole attitude of our fan base by our approach on fans forums like Bluemoon. We have a unique opportunity here to get our large foreign based fan base thinking more like a City fan and they get to feel the real living culture that is Manchester and understanding of what it means to be a City fan from City fans.

Let's not scare them away, lets instead welcome them and show them our true friendly MANC culture.
For donkeys years we have had fans from all over the country and the world .they have always been welcome by Manchester Lads and always will

Not for me I'm afraid.

Modern football culture is rubbish. "Fans" latching into teams from the good leagues just because they might win things, not within my understanding. How many Yanks or Singaporeans support Burton Albion... and why?

Fans around the world should have more pride in where they come from and support the teams in their own local areas. World football would be better all round if that were the case.

Ask an Argentine or Brazilian who his "English team" is and he'd tell you to fuck off. They don't like that sort of thing there and I'm on the same level of reckoning.

But each to their own. Not saying everyone should stop glory supporting, it won't be reversed now, but I'll have you remember this; when we lose out on one of our home games from our SeasonCards because we've copied the NFL and taken a game abroad, it's because of this shit.
Amen to that.

Here is my story:
If you struggle with large crowds, just pop along to the match around the 75th minute. You’ll be fine.

Dad bought an EIDOS shirt (edit: It was a Brother shirt now I recalled it better) which he didn't wear in the late 90s so I wore it instead. As PL Sunday didn't showcase us because we were in the lower divisions, I get updates on City through buying Match and another football mag that was like Match. I have to admit before the shirt and travelling to London as a 12 year old in the early 90s the supporter scene was all on the current top 2-3 clubs of the league and I was initially swayed to pledge allegiance. But sense got the better of me and I began to support City in the lower divisions, buying City kits and scarves, a few of which were knockoffs. My love for Oasis in the mid 90s and of how they wanted to sponsor the club also became a pull factor. Around 2000 I started an MCFC fan club and ran an online website/ blog but I as my own supporter club. I began going to Maine Road and then in 2007 also went to Manchester uni, the choice mainly because of my love for the club and went to watch in COMS. I joined BM in 2007 but lost access, this my new account. Been watchig games in Etihad for years until now.

I am the president of my country's MCFC fan club, and the presidential committee of the ASEAN MCFC supporter organisation that is 11 countries strong plus a few 'friendly members' like Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, etc. Most of the fans in these clubs are believe it or not fans long before our takeover, like me. We are trying to expand it to the whole of Asia though this is less of my effort and more of the Malaysian MCFC supporter club president who has done a tremendous job in spreading the love of City and our history and struggles in reaching to this height so we remain grounded as supporters, much like what Brandon the City fan is doing in his US tour teaching City songs and sharing his love for the club. I am unable to take the reigns as I am based in Manchester and this is my home. There is tremendous support in Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.