Forward with Franny 1993

Don’t have any recollection of this sit in. Was it a success? How many sat in?
Here you go… This is Emma Taylor’s photo which she kindly allowed me to use, alongside lots of great other photos she’d taken, in Farewell To Maine Road. This was the advert for the book. The protest was in September 1993 and, as you can see from the image, was successfully carried out.

The photo is Emma’s copyright.

Attachments

• 7BF9A1DF-93AB-49B5-B3EA-37B8AAB41744.jpeg
    7BF9A1DF-93AB-49B5-B3EA-37B8AAB41744.jpeg
    868.7 KB · Views: 58
Here you go… This is Emma Taylor’s photo which she kindly allowed me to use, alongside lots of great other photos she’d taken, in Farewell To Maine Road. This was the advert for the book. The protest was in September 1993 and, as you can see from the image, was successfully carried out.

Thanks. Suppose in pre internet and social media days, it’s possible that something like this could completely pass you by.

Although probably more likely that I knew all about it at the time and 30 years of subsequent alcohol abuse has wiped it from my memory.

The Mirror tried to make him the face of the protest, ‘God vs evil’ and all that as @Mad Eyed Screamer has said
As I remember the somewhat controversial Dante Friend led a lot of it. A Marmite character but personally couldn’t fault him
I’ve dug out a page from the Mirror with the Blue Vicar as he was often dubbed on it and posted it here:

On my website post I’ve put the full page of the Mirror but haven’t made reference to the story at the top of that page (it concerns a certain Mr Charlton & tickets). Another interesting reminder!

Maybe @Mad Eyed Screamer can remember because I’m sure he played a major part (I’ll have it in my collection somewhere) but was the sit down protest actually against Swales or was it against all-seater stadia? Emma’s photo is dated 11/9/93 so that fits with Swales Out and the QPR game but I’m sure I have a leaflet using the James ‘Sit Down’ style/wording encouraging us to sit down to protest against all seater.

When I get chance I’ll investigate further but if anyone can remember please let us know. Ta!

Gary, is Farewell to Maine Road still in print or available to buy?
I've only found used copies available for £45. Cheers

Gary, is Farewell to Maine Road still in print or available to buy?
I've only found used copies available for £45. Cheers
Sadly it’s been out of print since 2004. £45 is quite cheap it seems (original was £24.95 once published). At one point copies were being advertised on Amazon for thousands. I doubt anyone bought one for that but I do know someone who paid over £70 for a second hand copy. If only I’d kept a few for myself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.