Foul throw ins

The foul throw law is really only there to limit how far you can throw it Personally, I think they should change the rule so that you can put the ball into play any way you like as long as it goes less than about ten yards. It's mad that you get a throw in and then are at a disadvantage because opponents can be two yards away, and it's very hard to legally throw it to a teammate within two yards.
Given this, and the number of teams who appear to have difficulty maintaining possession from throw ins, it astonishes me the amount of times you see players who could easily reach a ball allow it to go out for a throw. We do it ourselves quite often, opposing teams always appear to mark up well at throw ins and it sometimes appears to take a relative age before the ball comes back into play.

My favourite thrown-in "quirk" is the rule that allows the thrower to have another go if the ball doesn't go into play.

Why a footballer at any level should deserve a second chance to throw a ball onto a 120 yard wide area from centimetres away, I have no idea.

Last edited:
A player cannot leave the field of play without the ref's permission. One of the few legal exceptions is for essential activities which are classed as "in the course of play" such as retrieving the ball. It only takes 1 player to do that and take the corner so it probably makes sense
but they did let them do it though, as one player ran over it and then the second actually delivered it, similar to a free kick routine...me and my son both commented on it as we had never seen anyone do that before

Jokes aside, I would say (conservatively) that upwards of 15-20% of throw-ins taken in any given match at any level are technically of the foul variety. But they rarely get called.

So it is always curious when they are called (sometimes straight after or before a different player took a foul throw).
It's higher than that. Was sat behind the corner flag at Arsenal away last season in line with them and nearly every throw saw hands over the line and on the field of play before the ball was released. Both teams were pretty much just reaching out and dropping the ball at a team mates feet.
It's one of those things that the refs obviously can't be arsed with or can't actually handle dealing with at every throw in consistently so they should just leave alone.

It's higher than that. Was sat behind the corner flag at Arsenal away last season in line with them and nearly every throw saw hands over the line and on the field of play before the ball was released. Both teams were pretty much just reaching out and dropping the ball at a team mates feet.
It's one of those things that the refs obviously can't be arsed with or can't actually handle dealing with at every throw in consistently so they should just leave alone.
Given you can take a throw with just your heels on the touchline, having your hands within the field of play at the point of delivering the ball is fine.

I thought it would be about Walker's technique doing his low sidewinders these days.

Given you can take a throw with just your heels on the touchline, having your hands within the field of play at the point of delivering the ball is fine.
"throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head"
Not when their feet are behind the line though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.