Francis Lee RIP

Nice article on BBC by Phil McNulty about Frannie

Agreed. McNulty's often very fair with us, and he knows his football history. A nice change from quite a lot of other people who work for the Beeb. I think it helps (a lot) that he is neither a former player of LFC nor United.

Agreed. McNulty's often very fair with us, and he knows his football history. A nice change from quite a lot of other people who work for the Beeb. I think it helps (a lot) that he is neither a former player of LFC nor United.
I liked this...

City and Lee were a marriage made in heaven, Mercer and Allison presiding over one of the most colourful and brilliant teams to grace the English game.

Brought up on his tales, and felt so let down as our chairman.

Arguably, made some of the worst decisions to impact the club.

He bought the club with Barlow and Dunkerley, and it always felt it was a little club of their own, making decisions on the fly.

I also couldn't forgive him sacking Colin Bell so ruthlessly?

I choose to herald the man who is one of our greatest ever players and extend sympathy to his family.
He didn’t sack Colin.

Nijinsky's superior wanted a change of staff, and Frannie felt he had to back him, rather than Colin.

It was a very sad situation, and one I wish had never occurred, as do many others, I’m sure.

Buzzer tried repeatedly to reconcile them, but failed, as far as I know.

Very Sad R.I.P. Franny, when Me & my brother were kids in the late 60s early 70s he was tall & thin so when we played football he was Colin Bell & I was short & stocky So I was Franny Lee, Thinking back we were so lucky to be blues (thanks Dad) in that era & to watch such a truly great team from the Platt Lane,
The only trouble was when me & my brother were having a kick around I always had to try & take a penalty like my hero Franny, Head down & hit it on target as hard as I could which usually resulted in a very long walk to go and get the ball again!
I think Franny is still the best penalty taker I have ever seen with Mario & Yaya close behind :-)

He didn’t sack Colin.

Nijinsky's superior wanted a change of staff, and Frannie felt he had to back him, rather than Colin.

It was a very sad situation, and one I wish had never occurred, as do many others, I’m sure.

Buzzer tried repeatedly to reconcile them, but failed, as far as I know.
That was always my take on it. Lee was getting stick for interfering and for having too many old boys around. The new manager wanted his own people so in a way it was a no win situation for Franny. Obviously we weren’t to know at the time just how shite the new manager would turn out to be. A real shame if Lee and Bell never sorted out their differences after.

A foundation stone of the club along with all the greats from the 68 team and onwards. I loved watching Franny play..blue through and through...and I always remember buzzer saying you could see his Blue shirt under the white one when he scored that goal for Derby.
R.I.P Franny

As well as the Denis Law back heel assist, another assist those of us lucky to have experienced that era will remember was the 1970 League Cup semi-final second leg at the swamp. It was finely balanced, with us having won our home leg 2-1 and united 2-1 up late in the second.

City were awarded an indirect free kick, about 25-30 yards out. Lee blasted it straight at the united goal and Stepney instinctively saved it, but could only knock it out to Mike Summerbee, who scored and won the tie for us. I wished I'd asked Franny if he meant that, or whether just hadn't realised it was indirect. Mind you, I think I know what he'd have said!

Last edited:
In the mid-1960s, I watched a number of mid-week matches not involving City at the likes of Stockport, Bury, Oldham, and Bolton.

After winning promotion in 1966 and consolidating in 1967, it was apparent that City lacked a top-class centre forward. Derek Kevan had gone and age was catching up on Jimmy Murray while Ralph Brand never really settled. City even tried Mike Doyle at number 9 for an extended run.

Francis Lee was the obvious choice but Bolton were not prepared to listen to offers. Lee had built up his bog roll business and was financially independent. He basically threaten to go on strike to force through the move to City. Bolton realised he wasn’t bluffing and sanction the transfer to City. The rest is history until Swales appeared to force him out of the club.

When my son was born in 1981, Francis was my choice for a name. My wife was hesitant until I suggested Kazimierz as an alternative. So Francis it was. He is a City supporter to this day despite having lived his life mostly in Edinburgh and now in London.

I did the same when my lad was born only I turned the name around so as his first name is Lee with the middle name of Francis.
My lad born in the south and like yours a die hard blue

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.