Francis Lee RIP

Probably an age thing but the Mercer Allison team will always be the greatest in my mind. Proper working class players and attitude. You could identify with them a lot more and the game was far better for it. Franny was an icon for the club through good and bad. It was comforting that he retained that connection until the end. So many great memories. Rip Franny.

As well as the Denis Law back heel assist, another assist those of us lucky to have experienced that era will remember was the 1970 League Cup semi-final second leg at the swamp. It was finely balanced, with us having won our home leg 2-1 and united 2-1 up late in the second.

City were awarded an indirect free kick, about 25-30 yards out. Lee blasted it straight at the united goal and Stepney instinctively saved it, but could only knock it out to Mike Summerbee, who scored and won the tie for us. I wished I'd asked Franny if he meant that, or whether just hadn't realised it was indirect. Mind you, I think I know what he'd have said!
I always thought that was a rehearsed move, if you watch the goal again on youtube you can see that Buzzer is moving towards the goal even before the ball is struck. I think it was a gamble that Stepney either got a touch and it went in the net or parried it out as happened.

Probably an age thing but the Mercer Allison team will always be the greatest in my mind. Proper working class players and attitude. You could identify with them a lot more and the game was far better for it. Franny was an icon for the club through good and bad. It was comforting that he retained that connection until the end. So many great memories. Rip Franny.

I understand what you mean about relatability but that's through my adults eyes, as a little wide-eyed lad the likes of Colin the King and Franny might as well have had capes because to me they were like super heroes :-)

RIP Franny great player. . Very nearly became a Wolves player as the 2 clubs had agreed terms but the Chairman was outraged by a foul tackle by him and he cancelled the transfer.

A Liverpool fan here. Just had to say how much I enjoyed watching Franny Lee play. That barrel chest and defenders bouncing off him. RIP Francis Lee a proper footballer from the time when real men played the game without rolling all over the place after being hit by a feather

Not been on the board for a few days........so first chance to express my sadness at such an iconic legends passing.

No history eh??

RIP Franny x

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.