Francis Lee RIP

Born the year we were reigning champions and our neighbourhood seemed to be totally blue so we were brought up with misty eyed tales about Franny and the rest of the squad by everyone around us for years.Legends forever, RIP Franny

Sad news.

My first ever game at Maine Road we beat Coventry 4-0 on 27th November 1971 and Franny got two and Colin the other two. Remember being upset when he went to Derby when I was on holiday. I did cheer in the Platt Lane when he scored on his return.

A sad day indeed.

How times have changed.
Was at platt lane with my 2 sons watching first team train. Buzzer came walking along and said have a cup of tea in the café upstairs the lads will be up after training. We went up and there was Franny having a cup of tea looking at the youth training on the Astro pitches. Shook his hand and he had a chat with my lads. Came over as a really genuine nice guy.
I always thought he was underrated as an international.
Great player for City a true legend!

I, like many, grew up with stories about him as he was before my time. My Dad, who doesn't really support a team but admires the game, often talked about the brilliance of Lee. He talked about Book and Bell and Summerbee as well, but he seemed to talk about Franny the most. I think it was the fact he had the extra edge to go with his talent. He would give it all and he'd never back out of winding the opposition up and getting stuck in. City were slick, but we had that edge all great sides need.

And as it took me until my early 20s to see City win a trophy, these players were immortal. They were legends. I grew up hoping for an FA Cup run and maybe a league cup. If I ever watched the CL on ITV I did so thinking we'd never play in it.

We've had so much success and a lot of dramatic victories so a lot of the more straightforward ones can be lost as we've been so spoilt in recent years. But that side of the 60s kept City on the map and was a source of joy to all of us, whether we got to see it or we grew up hearing about it. Without them, we may not have found our way through the dark times that followed - although Franny can shoulder some of the blame for that! Now we can look back with a smile though. Our rise from that point is part of the remarkable story of our club and one of the many reasons it's the greatest club in the world.

Ha, according to Wiki he was the first England player to receive a yellow card. He certainly never took prisoners.

I hope we commemorate Francis properly.

Let's hope Puma don't design a kit made of bog roll to honour him!

By my reckoning, that leaves only Tony Book, Alan Oakes, Mike Summerbee and (I tink) Tony Coleman of the 1968 title-winning team still with us.

"Time, like an ever-rolling stream, bears all its sons away", as the hymn says. How true, alas.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.