Francis Lee RIP

Derby fan in peace,never before gone on another fans site,but making an exception to pay tribute to the great Franny Lee,we had him at the twilight of his career and a lot of fans said he’s come for the ride,how wrong we were,he was inspirational never saw him have a bad game,always 110% commitied,full of passion exuberance and goals,he formed a great partnership with Charlie George,and Kevin Hector,and on a wednesday night under the floodlights at the old Baseball Ground in a European cup semi final against Benfica with the great Eusebio ,absolutely tore them apart he was brilliant.He played like a kid in a schoolyard full of the cocky tricks and Always with a smile on his face.against the Dirtys (Leeds showing what a hard man he was.I’m sure we could go on and on,bottom line a LEGEND every where he played.He was always Man City but thank you for borrowing him to us for 2years helping us to win the title he was part of the best Derby team in our history.God bless you Franny,RIP.
Great Post. Thanks for contributing to this thread.made me quite sad reading back another clubs supporters memories.

I had no clue about the Benfica match,that must have been a great game at your old ground.Nice to see Kevin Hector get a mention, his goal scoring record year after year was impressive.

Alan Hinton Bruce Rioch Archie Gemill McFarland and Todd...you had some fine players in that title winning season.
Your manager of the time also had something in common with Franny Lee...
Both men stood up to Dirty Leeds! ( Dave McKay holding Billy Bremner to account at White Hart lane for Spurs)

Any more Derby fans with Lee memories.?

Last edited:
Great Post. Thanks for contributing to this thread.made me quite sad reading back another clubs supporters memories.

I had no clue about the Benfuca match,that must have been as great game at your old ground.Nice to see Kevin Hector get a mention, his goal scoring record year after year was impressive.

Alan Hinton Bruce Rioch Archie Gemill McFarland and Todd...you had some fine players in that title winning season.
Your manager of the time also had something in common with Franny Lee...
Both men stood up to Dirty Leeds! ( Dave McKay holding Billy Bremner to account at White Hart lane for Spurs)

Any more Derby fans with Lee memories.?
Cheers mate,King Kev was my boyhood hero,but Franny was my guilty pleasure! Seriously though to see them both up front together was frightening I’ve got goosebumps just writing this,take care.

Cheers mate,King Kev was my boyhood hero,but Franny was my guilty pleasure! Seriously though to see them both up front together was frightening I’ve got goosebumps just writing this,take care.
Your original post gave me goosebumps mate.

I chat regularly with a Derby county fc fan of old who really knows his football,he says Lee gave all Derby fans great memories.
Gone but definitely not forgotten.

Edit: Hector must have been the greatest player to originate from Bradford Park Avenue FC.

Your original post gave me goosebumps mate.

I chat regularly with a Derby county fc fan of old who really knows his football,he says Lee gave all Derby fans great memories.
Gone but definitely not forgotten.

Edit: Hector must have been the greatest player to originate from Bradford Park Avenue FC.
Hector still goes down as one of the best, if not the best,) strikers in Derbys history,met him a few times ,and he is such an unassuming guy, he finished playing ,to become our local postman for years,I used to tease him,and say you were born in the wrong era mate,he said no ,I played without fear,full on attacking mentality,no goalkeepers involved in build up ,and spontaneity that you don’t see in the modern game (maybe city !) he did get to play for England ,Derby had 4 players in the squad at the time,Hector, McFarland ,Todd ,and David Nish all part of the then 1st Division title winning side,Franny came along a bit later with Charlie George theywere the cherry on the cake,in the words of Dave Mackay,he loved Franny,as they had very similar mentality and both could play a bit!

Hector still goes down as one of the best, if not the best,) strikers in Derbys history,met him a few times ,and he is such an unassuming guy, he finished playing ,to become our local postman for years,I used to tease him,and say you were born in the wrong era mate,he said no ,I played without fear,full on attacking mentality,no goalkeepers involved in build up ,and spontaneity that you don’t see in the modern game (maybe city !) he did get to play for England ,Derby had 4 players in the squad at the time,Hector, McFarland ,Todd ,and David Nish all part of the then 1st Division title winning side,Franny came along a bit later with Charlie George theywere the cherry on the cake,in the words of Dave Mackay,he loved Franny,as they had very similar mentality and both could play a bit!
Just to add that we are having a minutes appreciation for Franny on our next home game,should bring a lump to our 25000 plus fans young and old,

First one is with Rodney, who was a surprise guest at my 50th, we had a 'surprise' dinner downtown Atlanta, with him and his lovely wife Jean on the Friday, which totally overwhelmed me as i had no clue he was coming, why would I? I remember my first words to the great Rodney March being "F'kin hell its Rodney Marsh" :-)
They then came to the party at my house on the Saturday. which blew my ex-pat mates away and then, came to Fathers Day Brunch on the Sunday - absolutely brilliant bloke and spend hours chatting away to him, mainly about his upbringing, which was really tough and quite upsetting if i am being honest!
2nd & 3rd ones is my signed shirt from Kun :-)
4th one is a signed shirt for the 1969 FA Cup final win, with 'allegedly' only Tony Colemans name missing? This was my first time at Wembley and my red supporting Dad took me. I was like 9 and still have fantastic memories of the day. We stood on the terracing with a old Leicester supporter, who shared his packed lunch and flask with me at HT... Oh happy days.
These are all part of my most prized possessions which you will have to prise from my dying hands upon me leaving this earth!!
Enjoy!

Thanks for taking the time to post these and I agree, you'd need a crowbar to prise them out of my fingers. What a lovely thing for Rodney to do, what a weekend :)

Love the memory of the 69 final and the Leicester supporter. It's things like that that stand out. I remember when very young being taken to a game at Burnley and it was freezing (as it always is when the wind whips down Pendle Hill) and my memory of the day wasn't the football, the journey, the cold....it was when someone saw me shivering and poured out a cup of soup from a flask for me to warm my hands on then drink.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.