Francis Lee RIP

Hello Man City fans.
Thanks for accepting my ‘guest’ application.
Felt it very important to express my feelings about the player who literally changed my life forever.
At nine years old the news that City were transferring Francis Lee to Derby County broke my heart. I’d been sat with Dad in Platt Lane since ‘69 watching my heroes.
So upset, I told my sister and brother, season tickets holders, that was it for me, where Franny went I followed. ‘Ok bro, that’s fine!’ No doubt both thinking I’d get tired of a team 60 miles away and return to Maine Rd.
Well it didn’t happen and I adopted Derby County. Stood on The Kippax with my ‘silk’ Derby scarf surrounded by my family I witnessed ‘that’ goal. Admittedly I didn’t see much of it at 10 years old. Considering it was filmed at a time when TV coverage was a fraction of what it is now how lucky to be able to watch it time and again knowing I was there. I never made it to The Baseball Ground to see him live so that was my only time seeing him in a white shirt.
I never met my hero. Met Tommy Booth at a friends party and bored him to death no doubt about my allegiance switching because of my favourite player of all time. And I mean all time.
So here I am in 2023, following The Rams. Had a season ticket for a number of years before work ruled it out. Clearly made the right choice….that’s a joke just in case!!
I live near Stockport and City will always be my ‘second’ team. Was sweet when we beat City 6-0 at BBG I can’t deny it!!
Car crash, relationships all sorts happened, how different it all would have been had I been at Maine Rd.
So yes Franny Lee did change my life. And I’ve felt very emotional since his death was announced. Derby wore black armbands last night and City are tonight. I’m sure Bolton will if they didn’t last night.
Thanks for reading and next time our teams meet I know Franny will be there to take it all in. I raised a toast to my favourite player, and will do again tonight.
Thanks for the memories Francis Lee! Just look at his face.

I bet you have been emotional, you were lucky enough to see him play in the flesh.

It's never too late to change you know? We welcome all latecomers here at the City Church of the Treble Winners but I do admire your tenacity for not glory hunting and supporting Derby and you were 50 years ahead of the fans nowadays who follow players rather than teams :)

I spent some time living about half a mile from Pride Park, so watched a few of your games in the early 2000's.

I went to Bolton on Tuesday and they did wear black armbands, before the annoucement, you could have heard a pin drop in the stadium and after that a magnificent minutes applause for Franny. I think a lot of Bolton fans felt the loss as much as we do at City.

Thanks for posting

anyone... ta?
Francis Lee’s parents were John Lee and Mary Lee. John was a coal miner, and Mary was a housewife. Francis was born and raised in Farnworth, Lancashire, England

Francis Lee’s parents were John Lee and Mary Lee. John was a coal miner, and Mary was a housewife. Francis was born and raised in Farnworth, Lancashire, England

That is nonsense

Thanks, but I'm not sure that's correct:

Screen Shot 2023-10-05 at 17.01.23.png

The Ballad of Franny Lee

I saw the Shire Horses, when I was at uni, during the 99/00 season, and I thought they were hilarious.

It was the night we played Norwich away.

At one stage, one of them (I can’t remember who) asked if anyone knew if we’d won.

After a few moments, he said, "Yes, I know we’re crap, but what was the score?"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.