Francis Lee RIP

Had the pleasure of watching him play for City. Fully deserves his recognition with a statue at the club.
RIP Franny

I was stood on the Kippax 14th October 1967 with my dad nearly 56 years ago aged 15,it was Frannys debut for us we beat Wolves 2-0.Today 2nd October would have been my dad's birthday a sad day all round 2 great men gone but never forgotten.
Was there for Franny's debut too.. a good performance against Wolves to turn around a dismal few weeks losing to Sunderland, the Red Filth and Arsenal! And eventually on to win the title that season!

I cherish a couple of memories of Franny.

First, as a player, his barrelling runs on goal to unleash a fulminating shot.. all part of his drive to be a winner. Never more so than that day on that swamp of a pitch at Wembley in 1970 when he almost single-handedly dragged us back into the game to win the League Cup 2-1 against The Baggies.

Second, his humour. He always had that twinkle in his eye and was clearly a very bright bloke. I loved it when, just after he joined us in 1967, he quipped in an interview that he didn't mind City fans throwing toilet rolls onto the pitch when we scored, as it was his paper manufacturing company that made them in the first place.. so he was getting 'double pay' each time he scored!

Exactly as Colin Bell did for Bury, he made his debut for Bolton against us and scored (and, btw, Mike Summerbee also scored against us in the infamous 2-1 loss to Swindon in 1965.. our lowest league attendance ever)

Reunited with 'The King' up in the celestial changing room, I hope he gets a hat-trick tonight..!

Played before my time, but grew up hearing about him and the others from that great side.

My memories are more around the positive feelings when he took over as chairman. Got my first season ticket once he came in. I think it's fair to say that didn't go as well as either of us would have wanted, but he had City in his heart and I thank him for trying.

RIP.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.