Frank Rykaard as new city manager to finish the project?

I think the op has been taking his opinions from Wikipedia as this paragraph shows;

"Rijkaard had a disappointing start at Barcelona that saw some sections of the club's fans call for his resignation, and he drew flak from the media when the team lost to Real Madrid in December 2003.[4] Rijkaard's resilience won through and from 2004 onwards, he achieved a massive turnaround, as the team went from strength to strength. Barcelona finished runners-up in La Liga in 2003–04, having been close to the relegation zone at one point in the earlier stages of the season. Rijkaard then took Barcelona to the next level as he phased out the old guard and rebuilt a new look side around Ronaldinho, with new players like Deco, Samuel Eto'o, Rafael Márquez and Ludovic Giuly, along with the ultimate uprising of some young players from the previous era formed in the club's youth teams (i.e. Víctor Valdés, Carles Puyol, Xavi and Andrés Iniesta). He eventually succeeded in turning around the fortunes of the club, with the strong support of Laporta, and within the next couple of years finally managed to win La Liga both in 2004–05 and in 2005–06."

....which, as stated, is an argument for keeping Hughes, not for getting rid of him.

I don't think it matters so much who our manager is (out of a bunch with experience at the top level) so much as what system they are going to implement.

if you have two minutes to review this thread:-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116447

you'll see that a 'total football' approach would better suit our playing staff, and may resolve some of the problems Hughes has mentioned in that other teams have 'figured out Robinho'.

anyway... I'd just be made up if we went to play like this, and I believe it would get the best out of the players we have, attract the players we want, and make us a team to be admired in the EPL.

I'll take any of the 'Dutch School' managers to implement the above, although my overall prime choice would be Cruyff himself. He's pure football genius.

MCFCinUSA said:
I don't think it matters so much who our manager is (out of a bunch with experience at the top level) so much as what system they are going to implement.

if you have two minutes to review this thread:-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116447

you'll see that a 'total football' approach would better suit our playing staff, and may resolve some of the problems Hughes has mentioned in that other teams have 'figured out Robinho'.

anyway... I'd just be made up if we went to play like this, and I believe it would get the best out of the players we have, attract the players we want, and make us a team to be admired in the EPL.

I'll take any of the 'Dutch School' managers to implement the above, although my overall prime choice would be Cruyff himself. He's pure football genius.

Agreed. He hasn't managed in over a decade but he's definitely got the knowledge, and he's one of my favorite players of all time (and one of few absolute superstar players who have also become very successful as a manager). Rijkaard is from the same school though, and obviously Cruyff is still at Barca so Rijkaard has been taught by the master himself.

Great all I wanted was a rteasoned debate without the name calling, so far so good I would love our club to play total football as I think that suits our playing staff.
I enjoy the comments

GoForGlory said:
Agreed. He hasn't managed in over a decade but he's definitely got the knowledge, and he's one of my favorite players of all time (and one of few absolute superstar players who have also become very successful as a manager). Rijkaard is from the same school though, and obviously Cruyff is still at Barca so Rijkaard has been taught by the master himself.

yes, BUT he has been in talks since then, and pretty recently, with both Ajax and the Dutch national side, but he failed to reach agreement for various reasons on both.

whether we might be able to get him as director of football or as a manager, I wouldn't care... his eye for understanding and effectively utilising players within tactical systems is the stuff of anecdotal legend. To have him and whomever he might want to bring, to give him total authority to develop total football at our club, and just let him get on with it, might be something he'd think about - if he wanted one final challenge from the game.

if you consider Cruyff as one of its finest exponents of the game, both on and off the field, you might be offering him the opportunity to craft and create his thing in the home of football itself (England) and in what many people consider as being the toughest and most competitive of all domestic leagues, the EPL. What a delight that might be, and what a true project of salivating proportions that could be, especially with what ADUG could put behind it!

reni800 said:
"....It took him 1 season to get rid of the dead wood at Barcelona...."

Why isn't Hughes allowed the same privilege?[/quote

Possibly a good way forward and a way to get rid of some of the stagnation at City would be to let ALL the dead wood and hangers on leave on free transfers or with contracts paid up? There is still a feeling associated with the club of potential disaster and 'typical City'. It could herald a fresh new start for us getting rid of players and staff that have been through the 'comedy' years with us and be benefical for the players too giving them a new challenge.

nubian said:
One of my fellow city supporters tried to take me to task when I mentioned Frank Rykaard. let me know what you think.
It goes like this>

Tommy "Chopper" C, Oz.
17/04/2009 at 11:23
I'll quote just a bit of your post here then answer it below: You said ( i have cut and pasted you quote as it was written)

"one thing that is apparent from your post is your total lack of knowledge of Rykard. If you , like many of the other anti Hughes brigade, believe there is disharmony in our dressing room now, just wait to see what will happen if Franky gets in there"

My response:
You are 100% right that Rykaard was removed after the dressing room turned against him.
Just let's remind you of just a few things, Barcelona had won nothing for years before he arrived (1999 to be exact) Five years later he had won
2 La Lega championships (Runners up 1)
1 champions League Title (Runners up 1)
the other 2 years his side were in the latter stages of every competition they entered.
It took him 1 season to get rid of the dead wood at Barcelona and sign the following
Ronaldinho,Deco, Samuel Eto'o, Rafael Márquez and Ludovic Giuly,
He also brought through from the academy Víctor Valdés, Carles Puyol, Xavi and Andrés Iniesta, Lionel Messi and Pato.

You ask me if I would like that kind of unress at my club!!!!!!!!!!!
WELL BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!

Oh and just to make it quite clear.
My opinion about MH as manager is made by his actions whilst at this club exclusively.
I actually like the guy and thought he was a wonderful player. But I think he is only an average manager not suited to my club. (ONLY MY OPINION NOT A DECLARATION OF WAR)

Víctor Valdés, Carles Puyol, Xavi and Andrés Iniesta, Lionel Messi they would never
have made it without frank :-)

As other posters have alluded to, Manchester City and Barcelona are a million miles apart. Anyone who think Rijkaard would come in and immediately transform our team aren't being realistic. It'd set us back another year in my opinion. Hughes is staying for another year I think, let's get behind him.

MCFCinUSA said:
GoForGlory said:

yes, BUT he has been in talks since then, and pretty recently, with both Ajax and the Dutch national side, but he failed to reach agreement for various reasons on both.

whether we might be able to get him as director of football or as a manager, I wouldn't care... his eye for understanding and effectively utilising players within tactical systems is the stuff of anecdotal legends. To have him and whomever he might want to bring, to give him total authority to develop total football at our club, and just let him get on with it, might be something he'd think about - if he wanted one final challenge from the game.

if you consider Cruyff as one of its finest exponents of the game, both on and off the field, you might be offering him the opportunity to craft and create his thing in the home of football itself (England) and in what many people consider as being the toughest and most competitive of all domestic leagues, the EPL. What a delight that might be, and what a true project of salivating proportions that could be, especially with what ADUG could put behind it!

It would be a dream come true. :) Only one negative though - apparently he doesn't get on with Messi! :) Hehe, fantasy football... :)

I think Ric is right though, I'm at best a fence sitter about Hughes at the moment (although my comments on match days would tell you otherwise...), but I also believe MH will be here next season so let's get behind him. I do think we will instantly see improvements in the whole feel and stability of the club next season if the media and the players realize he's there to stay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.