Fred(Signed for United)

Status
Not open for further replies.
True though.

Fern was fucking fantastic for them.
At Fred's age, Fernandinho was getting knocked out with Shakhtar by Poli Timosoara (remember them haha) in the CL qualifiers. Fred has got them one foot in the quarters of the CL.
Also, Fernandinho had higher quality of players around him (even though I do rate a lot of the current Shakhtar squad)... Texeira, Taison, Willian, Douglas Costa, Mhkitaryan, Luiz Adriano etc

I tend to agree with you. Fred isn't strong enough unlike Ferna. Even if we don't mention his aerial (in)ability, he doesn't seem to be suited for DM role, looks more like a deep-lying midfielder of Modric/Gundogan/Naby Keita type.
I think it would be logical to replace Gundo with Fred and add a pivot of 'controlling' type like Weigl or Jorginho (do you agree that Weigl/Jorginho-Silva/Fred-KdB combination would suit City?). Very difficult to imagine Fred-Silva-KdB trio working well.

I think you are right. So you think gundogan should be sold/loaned ?

I think you are right. So you think gundogan should be sold/loaned ?

I fully agree with Andrew. Personally think we should sell Gundogan. We would get a decent fee and make a profit on him. Its more of a risk to keep him. His injuries are having a major psychological burden on him making him pull of out challenges frequently. Imagine he gets another injury, even a minor one would set him back mentally even further, a major one and his career is over, would never be able to overcome it. This is what we've failed to do in the past. Sell a player when their value is highest.

At Fred's age, Fernandinho was getting knocked out with Shakhtar by Poli Timosoara (remember them haha) in the CL qualifiers. Fred has got them one foot in the quarters of the CL.
Also, Fernandinho had higher quality of players around him (even though I do rate a lot of the current Shakhtar squad)... Texeira, Taison, Willian, Douglas Costa, Mhkitaryan, Luiz Adriano etc

Fred didn't get them there, the team did, with his help.

They are arguably the best side we have played.
Fernandinho also played in a good side & was fucking fantastic. Imo the best box to box mid in europe. Now he is the best def mid in europe.

Fred didn't get them there, the team did, with his help.

They are arguably the best side we have played.
Fernandinho also played in a good side & was fucking fantastic. Imo the best box to box mid in europe. Now he is the best def mid in europe.
That's when he was 27/28, Fred's 24.

I don't know if I read it wrong, as I was caught up by cup final excitement, but it appeared to me that Pep had us lined up more like the old Mancini system with Gundo (supposedly) playing next to Fern (inasmuch as that could happen in a Pep fluid team) but Gundo was making a complete arse of everything & actually getting in Fernandinho's way.
My thoughts on this bit. As I see it, Pep didn't change the system, just used different distribution of functions: it was important to give Walker a license to attack in the absence of Sterling. Consequently, Dinho had to cover right half-space usually defended by Walker, with Gundogan taking Dinho's place.

As I recall, the same distribution of roles was used vs Southampton away last season, and for the exact same reason (KdB replacing Sterling in the starting line-up, Navas becoming a width provider).

My thoughts on this bit. As I see it, Pep didn't change the system, just used different distribution of functions: it was important to give Walker a license to attack in the absence of Sterling. Consequently, Dinho had to cover right half-space usually defended by Walker, with Gundogan taking Dinho's place.

As I recall, the same distribution of roles was used vs Southampton away last season, and for the exact same reason (KdB replacing Sterling in the starting line-up, Navas becoming a width provider).

Yeah I can imagine that being what was planned.

It seemed that Fernandinho ended up doing his normal job on a number of occasions, probably because Gundogan wasn't, so that then looked more like the 'old' system we used to play.

You could imagine Fred in that system in either position & he couldn't really make a worse job of it than Gundo did, even if he joined us tomorrow & played tomorrow night.

But you could also imagine a new player, playing either role with either Fernandinho or Fred.

The right man, in either role, might leave us less vulnerable to the kind of calamity which happened at Anfield.

Of course it's not impossible that Fred, Fern plus A.N. Other might all play, in particularly tough away games, provided they showed they could do so without us losing attacking creativity.

That would be a tough midfield for an opponent to get through without losing the ball.

The addition of Mendy's attacking ability might also give that kind of lineup a different dimension compared to what it would be if we tried something similar right now.

Yeah I can imagine that being what was planned.

It seemed that Fernandinho ended up doing his normal job on a number of occasions, probably because Gundogan wasn't, so that then looked more like the 'old' system we used to play.

You could imagine Fred in that system in either position & he couldn't really make a worse job of it than Gundo did, even if he joined us tomorrow & played tomorrow night.

But you could also imagine a new player, playing either role with either Fernandinho or Fred.

The right man, in either role, might leave us less vulnerable to the kind of calamity which happened at Anfield.

Of course it's not impossible that Fred, Fern plus A.N. Other might all play, in particularly tough away games, provided they showed they could do so without us losing attacking creativity.

That would be a tough midfield for an opponent to get through without losing the ball.

The addition of Mendy's attacking ability might also give that kind of lineup a different dimension compared to what it would be if we tried something similar right now.
Yes. I can imagine Fred being used both as inverted LB and DM. Something like 2CBs + Mendy/Fred - Dinho/Fred/Weigl - Walker/Danilo would work just fine (with Zinchenko and Delph becoming expendable if that's the case).

Yes. I can imagine Fred being used both as inverted LB and DM. Something like 2CBs + Mendy/Fred - Dinho/Fred/Weigl - Walker/Danilo would work just fine (with Zinchenko and Delph becoming expendable if that's the case).

I don't understand. Are we buying both Weigl and Fred in the summer? Surely fernandihno signing an extension means we will only buy one.

I don't understand. Are we buying both Weigl and Fred in the summer? Surely fernandihno signing an extension means we will only buy one.
I wouldn't rule it out. I still don't 'get' Fred as the future main DM, too lightweight and lacks aerial ability. But if Pep treats him as a versatile player covering 6,8 and LB positions, his acquisition makes a lot of sense. Pure guesswork on my part ofc, Pep's vision is very hard to comprehend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.