Full Backs?

Our shitshow last season, Leicester, Madrid coming good when they dropped James and Isco for Casemiro, Iceland and Wales at the Euro's.

If football fans have learnt anything from 2016 it should be that the right players in the right system are much more successful than 11 stars squeezed into a team.

Indeed - Almost any player, playing at PL/CL level should be able to do what they are asked, If the coach understands how to get a side balanced and understands how to be offensive and defensive at the right times then he will always get more than a team of individual talents with no direction. Yes there are superstars who can change a game in an instant, but that is not a tactic upon which you rely or even integrate into the setup of a team. Those players fit the system just as much as the next man but every now again will produce something out of left field to turn a game.
Pep is (hopefully) the type of manager who knows what he wants to start with and knows what he needs when presented with a problem.

I think we will see a change in our fullback style under Pep and that may be why we have not seen links with fullbacks to the extent we would expect with the age of our current fullbacks. At Bayern, Pep regularly would push his fullback into the midfield line and and tuck them in the half space while in possession. It allowed his team to have more numbers in midfield and opened up direct passing lanes to the wingers which led to a lot of 1 v 1 situations for his wingers. In the book "Pep Confidential" this change was called the single biggest tactical evolution of his first year at BM.

If he is looking to use similar tactics in England, I would expect FBs that either play like or are defensive midfielders instead of fullbacks that make overlapping runs while wingers tuck inside. Maybe, we will see some of both styles. I am expecting to see Delph get games at LB along with Clichy and at RB I think we will see Sagna and Fernandinho or maybe even Fernando occasionally.

I think the Peres links are strange in this scenario because his style is much more of a wing back with pace and the ability to put crosses in.

I think we will see a change in our fullback style under Pep and that may be why we have not seen links with fullbacks to the extent we would expect with the age of our current fullbacks. At Bayern, Pep regularly would push his fullback into the midfield line and and tuck them in the half space while in possession. It allowed his team to have more numbers in midfield and opened up direct passing lanes to the wingers which led to a lot of 1 v 1 situations for his wingers. In the book "Pep Confidential" this change was called the single biggest tactical evolution of his first year at BM.

If he is looking to use similar tactics in England, I would expect FBs that either play like or are defensive midfielders instead of fullbacks that make overlapping runs while wingers tuck inside. Maybe, we will see some of both styles. I am expecting to see Delph get games at LB along with Clichy and at RB I think we will see Sagna and Fernandinho or maybe even Fernando occasionally.

I think the Peres links are strange in this scenario because his style is much more of a wing back with pace and the ability to put crosses in.

I said it in the Peres thread, but I think he'd play as a winger if we decide to play like Bayern. He has more the attributes of Douglas Costa than Lahm. Yeah I'm thinking Delph and Dihno as alternate fullbacks in some cases. Not sure about Fernando. Might be suited more for CB.

I said it in the Peres thread, but I think he'd play as a winger if we decide to play like Bayern. He has more the attributes of Douglas Costa than Lahm. Yeah I'm thinking Delph and Dihno as alternate fullbacks in some cases. Not sure about Fernando. Might be suited more for CB.

He's very keen to come inside even when playing on the right and has great passing accuracy so he's not necessarily going to be a winger at all.

It also makes no sense for him to be a winger when we've bought Nolito, Sané and Zinchenko alread this season who play either on the RW (Sané, Zinchenko) or would free up sterling to come across to the right (Nolito).

That on top of the word that Navas is staying.

Having him as a winger doesn't really add up.

He's very keen to come inside even when playing on the right and has great passing accuracy so he's not necessarily going to be a winger at all.

It also makes no sense for him to be a winger when we've bought Nolito, Sané and Zinchenko alread this season who play either on the RW (Sané, Zinchenko) or would free up sterling to come across to the right (Nolito).

That on top of the word that Navas is staying.

Having him as a winger doesn't really add up.

Zinchenko might go on loan. Sané isn't a forgone conclusion yet either. Nolito is a winger, but he isn't quick. Nolito could play on the wing, but also play more centrally and back up to De Bruyne in the Muller role in certain games. Pep will rotate players and De Bruyne and even Aguero will sit out some games especially since we have a lot of cup competitions. At Bayern he had 4 wingers and they rotated the most. Robben, Ribery, Costa and Coman and yes there were injuries, but still Pep like to rotate his wingers like Pellers did our fullbacks. We never know what will happen, but Pep does the unconventional.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.