Gael Clichy - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angelino would possibly have offered us more going forward when we were playing 3 at the back (although far less than Sané) - error prone as Clichy is though he's far better defensively, makes me shudder to think how bad we'd have been at the back with Angelino tbh. We made a mistake not bringing in new full backs, at least on the left, that's pretty clear.

As for Clichy I've stopped giving a shit at this stage, he's gone in the summer and I'll be happy to see him leave, we said goodbye to the 2011/12 Clichy a long time ago.

Clichy has not been able to defend a tap this year. If Angelino was a total mess at the back, he'd still be better than Gael because he could at least contribute going forward. Gael has done absolutely nothing on either side of the ball to warrant a place in this team. I reckon he's up to 10 goals purely down to him this year. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he's cost us the title tbh, he's been that much of a liability. The really sad thing is he is a nice bloke and I get the feeling he knows.

Clichy has not been able to defend a tap this year. If Angelino was a total mess at the back, he'd still be better than Gael because he could at least contribute going forward. Gael has done absolutely nothing on either side of the ball to warrant a place in this team. I reckon he's up to 10 goals purely down to him this year. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he's cost us the title tbh, he's been that much of a liability. The really sad thing is he is a nice bloke and I get the feeling he knows.
10 might be an understatement tbh, couldn't give a shit if he's a nice bloke either, he's making a couple of million a year after tax, the least he could do is focus and concentrate for 90 minutes every now and then. He's cost us 6 points in the last two games and the match at home to Boro alone with stupid mistakes, that's off the top of my head and would see us bang in contention for the title. Seems to care more about being a DJ than a footballer these days and it shows.

It's mind boggling that , apart from Kolarov, we have no back up. Even at January window we could have brought someone in on loan until end of this season. Pep is continually picking Clichy even when it is obvious that he is no longer the player that he was. We do not necessarily need world class backs but at least someone who is competent.The amount of times Kolarov and Clichy have been unable to clear their lines is incredible. At the moment I cannot think of any premier league team that has a worse left back.

Maybe so mate, but my point still stands about Pep keeping all four fullbacks.
Its on Pep, I agree.
Look at what you just said
Abidal, Alonso, Lahm
Perennial champions league winners/finalists throughout their career. World cups galore.

Gael Clichy.. Bacary Sagna..

Do the math.
I don't think your "world class players" argument necessarily undermines his claim that older players can improve. It is irrelevant whether they were winners before, only whether they could and did improve matters.

I think you'd have a better point arguing neither Lahm nor Alonso improved at all. Alonso was a shell of the player he was at Liverpool or Madrid and Lahm switched positions and learned new things about himself, but as a fullback he did not improve an iota.
As for Abidal, while its true he did improve, he got to Barca at 26-27 as opposed to 30-32 (I.e the ages of our fullbacks) So he doesn't really fit into the same category as improving old players already fighting age decline.

Also players saying "they've learned a lot" isn't proof theyve improved. It just means they learned new things. I bet all our fullbacks learned a lot too, Kolarov even Improved as a CB, but it did diddly squat for their improvement at fullback.

This is how you attack a weak claim. That said, I'm still going ahead and agreeing with @93Aguero20 that this is on Pep. And he should have improved his fullbacks or known they won't improve and thus put together a better contingency plan. :-)

Clichy is performing consistently at the moment, but that is because he is playing regularly and is now up to match speed. Note that I say he is playing consistently (not brilliantly or terribly), but I'm not sure that is enough for us and what we need. If we sign a younger and more attacking player, Clichy will be back to bit part appearances, and when he doesn't get continuous selection, he is one of those players who looks well off the pace when he come into the team. I think he'll end up staying, but I think it could be a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.