Gael Clichy - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a load of crap.

You can't improve the likes of Clichy, Zabaleta and Sagna at their age ffs.its like asking a manager to improve last seasons Demichelis....Impossible!

The idea that Pep is to blame for not replacing fullbacks which needed replacing 4 years ago is just embarrassingly thick.

They're all in the last year of their contract and won't leave until it's finished. We couldn't move them on last summer due to a mix of clubs wanting them for free later on and their wages being too big to take on.

We couldn't afford to keep them on the books and bring in new ones on huge wages as well.

Think.

Plenty of players who have previously played under Pep have improved despite age. Eric Abidal, Xabi Alonso and Lahm have all openly come out and said they've all learnt off Pep despite their age.

Zabaleta was going to Roma, Pep asked him to stay, we could have easily found a buyer for Clichy, but we didnt.

Think.

Plenty of players who have previously played under Pep have improved despite age. Eric Abidal, Xabi Alonso and Lahm have all openly come out and said they've all learnt off Pep despite their age.

Zabaleta was going to Roma, Pep asked him to stay, we could have easily found a buyer for Clichy, but we didnt.

Think.

Look at what you just said
Abidal, Alonso, Lahm
Perennial champions league winners/finalists throughout their career. World cups galore.

Gael Clichy.. Bacary Sagna..

Do the math.

Think.
That is just assumption. We didn't find buyer even for Nasri. And are you seriously comparing players like Xabi Alonso, Abidal and Lahm to Clichy, Zabaleta and Sagna? Those players you mentioned were on a completely different planet.

That is just assumption. We didn't find buyer even for Nasri. And are you seriously comparing players like Xabi Alonso, Abidal and Lahm to Clichy, Zabaleta and Sagna? Those players you mentioned were on a completely different planet.
Yes Zab when he was at his very best maybe could be included in that group the other two and lob in Kolo in his left back roll and you see one of the main reasons why
we have failed to make real progress into Europes elite in recent years. We do really need to buy quality this summer if we are to move up a peg or two. I would much rather spend the budget on 2/3 class acts than 6/7 average to good players. We have enough quality in the academy and on loan to fill in any gaps that appear.

I'll be sad to see him go. We've given him opportunities his former club couldn't but he's been an important member of the team that has seized those opportunities and has given me memories which I will never, ever forget as a blue.

As we go forward in search of new memories I will remember him fondly as a player with flaws but a model professional and a thoroughly nice bloke.

His legs have gone, his body has got older but he has been a fantastic player throughout his career and its not his fault he has been allowed a season too many with us.

He has no attacking game whatsoever and us asking him to suddenly have one and him struggling doesn't mean he is shit, it just means he cant do what we want.

Our full backs struggle full stop and its the clubs fault, not the players.

Age doesn't make him turn sideways instead of blocking the shot or means he can never get his foot in a break up an attack when he is inches away from the player,lack of balls is not an age thing

Maffeo you'd have a point, Angelino no. We needed to sign a left back last summer, Angelino is nowhere near good enough.

Angelino would have offered us far more than Clichy this year.

Bravo at left back would have offered more than Clichy ffs.

I actually like him, he was great under Bobby, but he's been here 3 years too long now and he should do the honourable thing and just retire immediately for the good of the team.

Angelino would have offered us far more than Clichy this year.

Bravo at left back would have offered more than Clichy ffs.

I actually like him, he was great under Bobby, but he's been here 3 years too long now and he should do the honourable thing and just retire immediately for the good of the team.
Angelino would possibly have offered us more going forward when we were playing 3 at the back (although far less than Sané) - error prone as Clichy is though he's far better defensively, makes me shudder to think how bad we'd have been at the back with Angelino tbh. We made a mistake not bringing in new full backs, at least on the left, that's pretty clear.

As for Clichy I've stopped giving a shit at this stage, he's gone in the summer and I'll be happy to see him leave, we said goodbye to the 2011/12 Clichy a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.