Game of Thrones (season 8)

It is nicely poised and should be a more GoT ending than a massive good vs evil battle. Jon/Dany, Tyrion and Jaime, Sansa, the Greyjoys, there are lots of people with mixed loyalties and split families. The writing hasn't been as good as previous seasons but there's a lot to work with still.
I’ve just decided that I am going to assume that my theory of “it’s all concocted in Hodor’s mind whilst playing one summer’s eve and Sam Tarly is his imaginary friend” is the way it will end so that I will be pleasantly surprised when it ends any other way. ;-)

It is nicely poised and should be a more GoT ending than a massive good vs evil battle. Jon/Dany, Tyrion and Jaime, Sansa, the Greyjoys, there are lots of people with mixed loyalties and split families. The writing hasn't been as good as previous seasons but there's a lot to work with still.

Yep, you're absolutely right about that. It's not suddenly terrible or anything - just a tad frustrating at times.

Yep, you're absolutely right about that. It's not suddenly terrible or anything - just a tad frustrating at times.
It’s actually a testament to how good it has been overall, as there would be no room for this sort of frustration if it hadn’t been a brilliant, medium-changing spectacle for so long.

It’s actually a testament to how good it has been overall, as there would be no room for this sort of frustration if it hadn’t been a brilliant, medium-changing spectacle for so long.

The ending is going to cause uproar and dissatisfaction - just because it's bound to. It's so hard to deliver a really effective final episode, and people are going to complain about it no matter what happens. One of my favourite final episodes anyone ever did was the 21st century Battlestar Galactica. The fourth series had become decidedly uneven before they got back on track towards the end of it, and the annoyance that caused as it proceeded I get totally. But, the final episode I loved because it completed the main story and still had 25 minutes to run. It then tied up all the characters and allowed us to say goodbye to them properly. So for all the flaws of that series (and it was still great television) I felt they ended it superbly.

But. Not everyone agreed! C'est la vie.

Thought the plot armour was a little too thick. Too many times characters were COVERED in wights then the scene switches and they’re safe.

They took an extra year to do this season. I imagine we the next big battle will be heart wrenching.

Some speculation: We’ve seen Greyworm turn from a soldier supposedly to have no feelings and over the seasons had become human again. The director did an EXCELLENT job of portraying him struggling to barricade his troops in front of the trench to certain death. If he had nothing use left storywise thought he might die. What you guys think of the chances after that that he is now gonna have a struggle with Dany and sending his troops to fight another war for her (if he has any left)?

Side note: I loved the battle. It was difficult to see sometimes, I think this was to make us feel like we were there. Similar to how the battle of the bastards made us feel claustrophobic.

The ending is going to cause uproar and dissatisfaction - just because it's bound to. It's so hard to deliver a really effective final episode, and people are going to complain about it no matter what happens. One of my favourite final episodes anyone ever did was the 21st century Battlestar Galactica. The fourth series had become decidedly uneven before they got back on track towards the end of it, and the annoyance that caused as it proceeded I get totally. But, the final episode I loved because it completed the main story and still had 25 minutes to run. It then tied up all the characters and allowed us to say goodbye to them properly. So for all the flaws of that series (and it was still great television) I felt they ended it superbly.

But. Not everyone agreed! C'est la vie.
The same could be said about the final two-part episode of Star Trek: TNG, which was aptly named ‘All good things...’.

I quite enjoyed it (and still do). But I also watched it at a very early stage of my life (it aired when I was only 10) and watching it back now I can see a few things that would have likely put me off if I was seeing it for the first time today. I’ll never actually have that ‘disappointed’ experience, though, because it was formative and so rests deeply and securely in my ‘nostalgia crypt’ (to be reanimated at my inner NK’s whim). I imagine the final episodes of GoT will also rightfully hold that place for many — perhaps even for me, even despite my general disappointment with the final series thus far.

I suppose all I am hoping for is a conclusion that doesn’t marginalise Martin’s brilliant writing up to this point (which, as we have agreed, may be the end itself) and exceptional work of the showrunners, writers, costumers, and choreographers of last few series.

If they can beat the disappointment and utter bitterness I initially had after the ending of the sopranos, I’ll be very impressed.

If they can beat the disappointment and utter bitterness I initially had after the ending of the sopranos, I’ll be very impressed.

Although I still think the ending of Life on Mars can't be beaten for the sheer WTAF response.

I've watched the episode twice now and it is quite simply the most amazing one hour plus piece of TV filming I have ever seen. The music score alone tops anything I have come across in the cinema. I get the comments many have made about plot nuances etc but for shear visceral thrills over a sustained period it was amazing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.