Games that brought you back to earth with a thump

Chelsea 6 - 0 Man City
October, 2007

We were doing pretty well winning seven of Sven's opening 10 games. Then it all turned to custard.

I turned up at Stamford Bridge hoping to get a ticket, but had to end up covertly watching in the Chelsea supporters bar right outside the stadium. Nightmare, having to feign joy at every goal.

Not a great experience.

There's some bad memories on this thread and last years CL semi final 2nd leg is the freshest in my memory, i still can't believe we lost that!

But one i don't think's been mentioned was back in 1985 when we were going for promotion. We got a brilliant result down at Portsmouth (a great day out) and then drew at home with Oldham.
We then had a Easter Monday day out in Nottingham to play an almost relegated Notts County. All we needed was to win and we were up! It was a lovely day, there were thousands of us there, lots of beer, everyone was in a good mood and we had 3 sides of the ground.
Yet typical City kicked in and we were 3 nil down at halftime. 3 nil against a relegated side, it was a nightmare! It all kicked off and the 2nd half was delayed for ages.
We did pull 2 goals back, but it wasn't enough and just when we thought we'd be celebrating in the sunshine, we ended up heading home with our tails between our legs, yet again!
Oh City, we love you!!!
I was at that one, if I remember rightly some city fans were trying to get the game called off at half time by pushing fences down & causing trouble & the ref came on the pitch with a microphone? to say something along the lines of "if you keep causing trouble & pushing fences down I will call the game off" Genius!

FA Cup Final Replay v Spurs 1981. Was only 8 at the time and it was then I realized how crushing football can be. Id only enjoyed it up to then.

The Champs league v Spurs when we were done by VAR and went from mental celebrations to thinking football was dead within 60 secs.

The loss v Chelsea 2:0 at Maine Road in 1984 left me numb. David Speedie ran us ragged and it was clear then we werent going straight back up.

Also when we lost 3:2 v Liverpool in 2014 when Kompany sliced it to one of their players in the title run in. Thought the league had gone to them which made it worse.

Those 3 last minute derby losses early Mansour era were really tough as well. The one where Owen scored, the one were Ireland forgot to track back and the League Cup semi one.

Away from City when I used to be interested in England, the losses in 1996 v Germany in the Euros and Argentina in World Cup 1998 were both on pens, left me in a dazed mood for days.

Cup Upsets didnt really upset me that much as they were kind of expected in the 80s and 90s! (even the Wigan final one...the boohaha before the game about Mancini and Daves legs kind of left me expecting it)

Getting beat by Stockport at home, that was grim. I think their winner was a penalty, when they scored it a bloke threw a bottle out of anger and it smashed on the back of a woman's head a few rows down and it all kicked off, I stood there watching a load of blues fighting each other, a woman crying with her hair covered in blood and the team on pitch completely stripped of any confidence. I wondered what was the point of supporting them anymore.

Yeh, that was a horrible night.

One I'm surprised has not been mentioned was 2 1 FA cup defeat to Blackpool think it was 1985. We were 2nd division then and Blackpool 3rd but it was especially galling to me as most off my friends were seasiders and stick off them was fair enough. What pissed me off far more was dick heads at work who barely new Blackpool had a team suddenly claiming to be life long fans. The one consolation was the rags going down to am even more embarrassing defeat at Bournemouth then 3rd division. The GPCs rage dominated the media which at the time was more pro Scouse than rag.

I was there for the first of those defeats in 1965. It was a draw in the first match at Maine Road and I booked a rail ticket to Shrewsbury for the replay. I then had a nasty dose of flu and was worried that I would not be able to travel but I recover in time.

We arrived at the old Gay Meadow stadium. It was right by the river Severn and balls often ended up in the water. They used to employ a guy (Fred Davies) in a coracle to retrieve list balls.

Before we paid to get in someone had a heave at an exit gate and found that it was not locked. Loads of us piled through the open gate.

That was as good as it got and City were well beaten. The special train was very depressing going back after the match. The team were aboard the train and rather than being crestfallen after the result, they all seemed more concerned about chasing some of the girls on the train.
I was at that game and remember loads of us getting in for free. At the half we charged across the pitch. Seem to recall seeing the train i was on receiving some “treatment“.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.