Games that brought you back to earth with a thump

Wigan cup final for me. I'd given my season ticket up and gone to Australia so missed the FA Cup final win v Stoke and the league title win. Came back, got a ticket to Wembley and was ready to see City win a major trophy in the flesh. And then Ben Watson scored.

There's some bad memories on this thread and last years CL semi final 2nd leg is the freshest in my memory, i still can't believe we lost that!

But one i don't think's been mentioned was back in 1985 when we were going for promotion. We got a brilliant result down at Portsmouth (a great day out) and then drew at home with Oldham.
We then had a Easter Monday day out in Nottingham to play an almost relegated Notts County. All we needed was to win and we were up! It was a lovely day, there were thousands of us there, lots of beer, everyone was in a good mood and we had 3 sides of the ground.
Yet typical City kicked in and we were 3 nil down at halftime. 3 nil against a relegated side, it was a nightmare! It all kicked off and the 2nd half was delayed for ages.
We did pull 2 goals back, but it wasn't enough and just when we thought we'd be celebrating in the sunshine, we ended up heading home with our tails between our legs, yet again!
Oh City, we love you!!!

The day after the Champions League final.

Perfect weather on the Sunday, Bank Holiday on the Monday. Would have been perfect for partying all day and welcoming the team and trophy back to Manchester. Instead it was numb.
One that was a kick in the bollocks was a 4th round FA cup tie against Watford,, the year escapes me late 80s I think. We were one nil up when Watford got a dodgy penalty, match finished 1 1. Drew the replay down there and lost the 2nd replay at Maine Rd. We would have played Bury had we won, one of the many times I thought it wold be our year in the cup yet again I wasvwrong.

Was like a day out at the flower show compared to the Friday night game in ‘84.
I missed that game as I was dragged away to a camping weekend in Anglesey. The back of my seat in I Block was ripped off and not fixed for at least a couple of years.

Never mentioned it or complained, as I knew we were skint.

One that was a kick in the bollocks was a 4th round FA cup tie against Watford,, the year escapes me late 80s I think. We were one nil up when Watford got a dodgy penalty, match finished 1 1. Drew the replay down there and lost the 2nd replay at Maine Rd. We would have played Bury had we won, one of the many times I thought it wold be our year in the cup yet again I wasvwrong.

Pretty sure we both got a penalty in that first game and Mark Lillis hit a tame effort that was easily saved, that would have probably won the game.

Not since they stopped deciding drawn European Cup games on a coin toss has anybody ever celebrated winning the toss of a coin more than Paul Power did to decide the venue for the third game. Not that it did us any good. Think John Barnes did for us that night.

92 Season. Beat Leeds 3-0 then followed up with a draw in the Derby, thought this is looking good.

Then lost away to Sheffield Wed.

Funny I had to check but always thought we’d won the Leeds game 4-0.

Edit: Yes it was 4-0

Ahh shows what copious amounts of Stella does to your brain.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.