Gareth Barry

Just found this story, obviously a few years now but what a guy eh

At Christmas, the Villa players go to some of the Acorns hospices in groups and the Christmas before he left, Barry went to the one closest to me. The players have photos taken when they’re talking to the kids and playing with them and doing whatever, and then they go and have a promotional shoot for the club to put on the website/letters/whatever. So when the players and photographers moved out of the room, they realised Barry was missing and everyone was freaking out because they’d just lost Gareth Barry somewhere in the hospice. He was gone for hours, and when they finally found him, he was lying on the floor colouring with one of the kids in the room, and he’d stayed behind long after he needed to, just to brighten up this kid’s day, even though no one would have ever known.

RyantheBlue said:
Fantastic today, but he usually is when he plays.

Very clever, plays to his strength, doesn't attempt to get into footraces, plays a simple short passing game, tackles well. Proper midfielder.

I remember someone saying of Martin Petrov during Sven's time with City that in this country, the media and the fans tend to focus too much on what a player CAN'T do, rather than on when they CAN.

Gareth Barry is another example of that (mis)focus.

citytillidie24 said:
One of the best central midfield performances I've seen in years, he was everything for us this afternoon. Great use of the ball, great tackling, challenged them in the air. He's our best player at the moment and long may it continue. Fantastic player!

And when he does all this it's almost like he's invisible. He goes about his job with a calm assurance now he's settled down. I think he's one of those that, given the responsibility, would thrive as a captain.

Him and Zab were troopers for us today. That type of never say die attitude will get us over the finishing line.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.