Gareth Southgate

Very very poor tonight. Midfield was anonymous and his solution was swapping the dangerous Sterling for the bang average Rashford. Made absolutely no sense whatsoever when he needed to get some legs and energy into the midfield. Suppose he got a decent run from a decent group of players though so about what you would expect.

Absolutely right. Got the best out of an average set of players. Southgate let himself down today though as Subs were nothing, Rashford for Sterling & Dier for Henderson, both a complete waste! Needed to get Delph on for Ali, Rose for Young should have happened much earlier.

Not convinced they were fat Sam tactics as much as the midfield just didn’t have the quality to retain the ball and even less quality setting up chances for the forward players

Well all I saw from the time we scored was the ball lumped forward in the general direction of lone striker Sterling , totally bypassing the midfield. On the few occasions it got near Raz he won a free kick, much to his credit, as when he did get the ball there wasn't a white shirt in sight. Raz was the last person he should have substituted. Anyway, it's over , though no doubt the interruption to the Prem season will be plenty as England now strive for he Euros.

I rate whoever was in charge of designing set pieces, they did a top notch job. Southgate on the other hand is just a nice guy, I don't see much about how we played in open play in the tournament to suggest he's much of a manager. Seemed incapable of either noticing the problem in midfield, or unwilling to make the decision to change it.

Absolutely right. Got the best out of an average set of players. Southgate let himself down today though as Subs were nothing, Rashford for Sterling & Dier for Henderson, both a complete waste! Needed to get Delph on for Ali, Rose for Young should have happened much earlier.
Pretty much agree. Henderson did OK till he ran out of gas. Need a midfield for the next tournament.
Young, Dier, Ali, Lingard not good enough. I'd ditch Vardy too and probably Rashford unless he improves dramatically.

Southgate played much of his career in a back 3 from memory so he’s just doing what he knows and trusts best. He has got another crack at it and hopefully like some of the players will improve next time around.

I am genuinely conflicted about this. He seems like a very likeable guy, he is very comfortable in front of the the cameras and makes all the right noises. However, I think some of his selections in this World Cup have been terrible and his unwillingness to change the lineup and format were almost beyond comprehension. Firstly, Young and Dele Alli had terrible world cups yet played in almost every, if not every game. Secondly, it was clear to everyone that the midfield trio of Henderson, Alli and Lingard simply wasn’t working but he persisted with it. Thirdly, apart from a few penalties, Harry Kane was really poor yet he was untouchable. When underperforming players needed to be changed The Manager seemed unwilling to make the big decisions.

Having said all that I think we did better than most people expected and there were some genuine highlights . Pickford did well, Stones and Maguire were excellent and Trippier had a good tournament.

We may just have the foundations of a decent team for the future.

Great credit for taking England this far and creating a sense of unity and common purpose in the squad.
This England team is only going to get stronger over the next 4 years. He needs to work on his in-game management and a plan B. This wasn't the first time when England dominated the first half, the opposition made some tactical changes at half time and England wasn't really able to deal with it. See Nigeria friendly before the world cup.

Great credit for taking England this far and creating a sense of unity and common purpose in the squad.
This England team is only going to get stronger over the next 4 years. He needs to work on his in-game management and a plan B. This wasn't the first time when England dominated the first half, the opposition made some tactical changes at half time and England wasn't really able to deal with it. See Nigeria friendly before the world cup.
Agree with all of that. I would add Alli, Lingard and Hendersons spots seem most vulnerable. These fellas leave us with what seems to be no actual midfield and solid midfields win you international tournaments. If it is not addressed, we will stagnate.

All in all though we did well i thought given the squad we had. Southgate deserves praise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.