Garry Cook appreciation?

I've met Garry Cook a few times and I've never seen him buy anybody a pint, just another myth.

He's an absolute top guy. I think the chairman knows better than anyone on this site about what goes on behind the scenes.

He went right out of his way to ensure he kept his appointment at the Swinton Branch earlier this month which is more than I can say for any of the confirmed player guests who suddenly can't make it.

I was and still am involved in the Sierra Leone Appeal. But for Garry Cook's intervention myself, 3 other City fans involved with the Appeal and Paul Lake would never have got to Sierra Leone (officially the world's poorest country) to deliver the Mini Bus, tons of City football stuff, educational equipment and thousands of pairs of glasses. It was Garry Cook who accelerated that Appeal and made things happen. For me he's a diamond. His critics don't know what they are talking about.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
JohnMaddocksAxe said:
Don't know much about the main aspects of his job and performance and I doubt that (m)any on here do either.

I do know that, more than anyone I can recall being associated with the club he has been on a constant drive to be viewed as a "top bloke". The "met him and bought me a drink, LEGEND" stories are rife and seem to be doing a good job with many of automatically ensuring that he is viewed as briliant at his job.

The one aspect of his job that I do feel I know enough to comment on is that he is constantly, almost excessively, always banging on about how much he appreciates the loyal fans but the last two years have seen a raft of ongoing decisions that can only be construed as being designed to replace those same fans with a different and higher spending demographic.

Therefore, I wish he would just shut up, stop the glad handing and get on with it.

It is obvious that he can only justify his position by driving up revenue streams hugely (even those like ticket schemes which hardly make a dent in FFP) so I would prefer he gets on with it without the contradictory sound bites and the sustained personal PR campaign.

Not a popular view, especially with the "he bought me a drink" mob, but the only opinion I feel informed enough to form.

Couldn't care less about the foot in mouth gaffs really. Not important in the scheme of things and those who give him grief for them are barking up the wrong tree imo.

Would it be fair to say you have trust issues?

Not a bad point in my oppinion.

Alex the Blue said:
I've met Garry Cook a few times and I've never seen him buy anybody a pint, just another myth.

He's an absolute top guy. I think the chairman knows better than anyone on this site about what goes on behind the scenes.

He went right out of his way to ensure he kept his appointment at the Swinton Branch earlier this month which is more than I can say for any of the confirmed player guests who suddenly can't make it.

I was and still am involved in the Sierra Leone Appeal. But for Garry Cook's intervention myself, 3 other City fans involved with the Appeal and Paul Lake would never have got to Sierra Leone (officially the world's poorest country) to deliver the Mini Bus, tons of City football stuff, educational equipment and thousands of pairs of glasses. It was Garry Cook who accelerated that Appeal and made things happen. For me he's a diamond. His critics don't know what they are talking about.

But..but he got drunk and said we will rule the world.. and he called us United, he should be thrown to the floor...very roughly.. ;)

I think he was somewhat preoccupied with the rags when he called us 'united', most notably demonstrated by the Welcome to Manchester poster (which was much appreciated by me at least, and others no doubt).
He spearheaded our change of mentality and helped us do something about our inferiority complex (....oh come on....we did).
So, I wont castigate him for a few errors, because he has been such a ballsy advocate for the club.

I think JMA is being rather harsh on him. I look at those same actions you see as negative in a positive light.

Family Stand - I can't criticise him for devoting an entire stand to families, keeping prices low and pushing the boundaries in terms of the experience kids have at a football match (the entertainment, the food options etc).

Parade - you may have views on the distribution of tickets but the bigger point is that we are providing a *free* event for 47,000 blues. The other lot across the road wont be doing that.

Superbia - it's a season ticket for every game. Good idea IMO and works out at about £35 if we play 60+ games this season. So hardly a rip off, but a very useful option for those who do go to every game as it saves a lot of faffing about with organising tickets.

Cup scheme - how is this obligatory? If so many blues take it up then surely that's a good thing? No more half empty stadiums in Europe, more income for the club, a sign of demand etc. If you feel under pressure to sign up because you may miss out on a cup final then so you should, as plenty of other blues are committing to those cup games. It is a season ticket for cups so those who have it should have priority on those who don't. I'd love to hear suggestions on alternatives if this is such a bad idea.

I can point to many other things - City square, that concert, fireworks display, the best sports web site around with tons of free video content (Arsenal, Liverpool etc charge for theirs), including reserve matches and open days. A significantly enhanced CITC operation, kit launch events Points of Blue fans forum, the improved interior and concourse at the ground. I could go on.

From a fan perspective I can't see how there is any doubt that he has been largely positive. I feel much closer to the club these days.

And then there is the business side... sponsorships, profile, retail, ensuring Umbro view us as their premier club partner, massively improving the corporate offering.

Then the football side...Mike Riggs scouting network, the video analysis suite, the much improved Carrington and plans for the Analine site, the Academy.

Of course, with the money involved we were always going to improve off the field, but somebody had to actually get the job done and he has.

Project said:
I think JMA is being rather harsh on him. I look at those same actions you see as negative in a positive light.

Family Stand - I can't criticise him for devoting an entire stand to families, keeping prices low and pushing the boundaries in terms of the experience kids have at a football match (the entertainment, the food options etc).

Parade - you may have views on the distribution of tickets but the bigger point is that we are providing a *free* event for 47,000 blues. The other lot across the road wont be doing that.

Superbia - it's a season ticket for every game. Good idea IMO and works out at about £35 if we play 60+ games this season. So hardly a rip off, but a very useful option for those who do go to every game as it saves a lot of faffing about with organising tickets.

Cup scheme - how is this obligatory? If so many blues take it up then surely that's a good thing? No more half empty stadiums in Europe, more income for the club, a sign of demand etc. If you feel under pressure to sign up because you may miss out on a cup final then so you should, as plenty of other blues are committing to those cup games. It is a season ticket for cups so those who have it should have priority on those who don't. I'd love to hear suggestions on alternatives if this is such a bad idea.

I can point to many other things - City square, that concert, fireworks display, the best sports web site around with tons of free video content (Arsenal, Liverpool etc charge for theirs), including reserve matches and open days. A significantly enhanced CITC operation, kit launch events Points of Blue fans forum, the improved interior and concourse at the ground. I could go on.

From a fan perspective I can't see how there is any doubt that he has been largely positive. I feel much closer to the club these days.

And then there is the business side... sponsorships, profile, retail, ensuring Umbro view us as their premier club partner, massively improving the corporate offering.

Then the football side...Mike Riggs scouting network, the video analysis suite, the much improved Carrington and plans for the Analine site, the Academy.

Of course, with the money involved we were always going to improve off the field, but somebody had to actually get the job done and he has.

Brilliant post, I hope Garry Cook's critics read this post and digest the contents.

Project said:

Spot on, what a brilliant post but you'll always get moaners who don't see the bigger picture.

Gary Cook seems to have much improved and the fact Khaldoon speaks so highly of his work is a great endorsement. :-))) I think one of the biggest problems our club has for the future is with the negative media. City must find strategys to turn this around.
(Khaldoon comments for Brian Marwood was strange "he has a role!!!")

I met Garry on two occasions at Eastlands about a month a part, the first to thank him for helping me out with a work issue, a brief hello and thanks. The second time was about three or four weeks latter, i was amazed that
he remembered me and took interest in my new employment. The volume of people Garry must met is huge and the fact that he remembered me
and asked thoughtful questions proved to me he is immense in his professionalism. Garry and his P.A. are both very good at what they do and just as important are exceptionally good people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.