Gaz Baz

I will point out the three negatives in Barry's game
1 He's not the fastest
2 Sometimes he needs to see the pass quicker
3 He needs to have a ping at goal more often

On the first point. Because he reads the game so well, he can get away with not having great pace and I wish Milner had Barry's positional awareness

When he's playing for England his slow passing becomes far more noticeable. Playing alongside Silva, Nasri and Yaya must be a pleasure

We all know he can twat a ball (see the goal vs Bolton) and the training reports always say what a terrific finisher he is
He really should take a bit of responsibility and have a ping from twenty yards every now and again.
Even if he doesn't get one on target in ten attempts, it will make the opposition think and realise they have to close him down, which will leave more space around the penalty area for our other players

All in all, he's had a brilliant season protecting our back four and if truly world class players such as David Silva say he's their player of the season, Barry must be fucking good at what he does

He's the kind of player who allows good players to play. Which is why he doesnt look so good with England.

Edit
Not that he isn't a 'good' player himself. He just isn't as dynamic and creative as Silva, Yaya etc. He allows them to do what they do. Silva's vote for him as player of the year shows that.

The whole negativity from the press and rival fans stems from one game, Germany in the World Cup when a half fit GB was exposed by the pace and movement of the German team. However what they don't realise is how desperate Capello was in getting GB fit for the tournament, i'd rather take the judgement of top class manager anytime.

As for his performances for City, definately in the top four of the team this year, when he plays we play, his ability to play the crucial 10yd pass is essential to the way we play. If you watch the likes of Parker, Mikel etc, even NDJ they tend to play it either square or to a man who comes short to him, GB has developed the 10 yd ball that breaks the lines, looking for the likes of Silva and Nasri in the gaps...sounds easy, maybe if you have the calibre of players to look for that gap, maybe that is the problem when he plays for England....

Skashion said:
Might they have a point: <a class="postlink" href="http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/statszone/archive/2012/05/16/why-michael-carrick-should-start-for-england-this-summer.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/statszone/ ... ummer.aspx</a>

(in my opinion) those stats don't really show the whole story.

Barry played in a team that kept the ball better than Spurs or Utd all season. Therefore, he was required to win the ball back less than either of those two players!

Also, they show how many they MADE per game, but not how many were missed! Half a story yet again!

as I've said, barry is a good player, but whenever england play a midfield 3 of parker, barry and either lampard or gerard theres not a lot of dynamism there.

it would have looked like parker-lampard-gerard but with lampard looking injured who knows?

parker-gerard-jones? looool

in a midfield 3 i would play milner in there to add some energy, and i'd also have oxlade chamberlain in there

de niro said:
The rags etc have a go cos he's a better player than theirs , simple jealousy and bitterness.
We would not have won the title without Barry, it's as simple as that.

Agreed. I really don't care what others piss poor critics are saying about him, Gaz Baz had a crucial role in winning the title.

He's been my player of the season. I lost count of the number of times I came away from games saying how good he'd been. As others have said , he allows the flair players to play their game. He's been picked regularly by several managers which goes to show how good he is, it's just that his role isn't an eye catching one so he comes in for criticism. He made Scotty 'darling' Parker look like a pub player in the home game against Spuds.

de niro said:
The rags etc have a go cos he's a better player than theirs , simple jealousy and bitterness.
We would not have won the title without Barry, it's as simple as that.

Dead right, de niro. We can look at Dzeko's and Aguero's goals (just had the extended highlights on again!) and rejoice, but across the season it is reliability, endurance, and simplicity which get yer to the finishing post better placed than most. None more reliable than GB.

He can be exposed against players with pace, but I have always thought that was somebody else's job!

Scotty 'Hero' Parker has a knack of making football look hard, pouring with sweat, diving in to last gasp challenges and darting all over, and people equate this to a great performance.

Barry is ten times the player he is, and makes it look so easy as he knows exactly where to be on the pitch at any given time, and his passing has developed so much this year... Can't think of many other players i'd rather have for that position.

Rags are expected to slag off our players as we slag off theirs, but lets be honest there has been plenty of posts on here from so called blues in the past slagging of GB and all of it has been uncalled for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.