General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
In fairness, they probably will put some taxes up. I just hope it won't be on pensions assets, as moving the goal posts after you have paid your tax and saved all your life is a real kick in the teeth.
I'm sure they will have to once they get to see the ledger they inherit. I'm under no illusion that the Tories will also raise taxes again should we have the misfortune of them getting re elected

I'm sure they will have to once they get to see the ledger they inherit. I'm under no illusion that the Tories will also raise taxes again should we have the misfortune of them getting re elected
Well that has happened consistently the past 10years or so. I don't think you can say that the Conservatives are the party for business anymore. Certainly not small business. The truth is I believe that the majority of people in this country don't actually mind paying higher taxes as long as the very wealthy and more importantly the biggest businesses pay their fair share of tax. I read an article a few years back which stated that 98% of the FTSE 100 companies paid no UK corporation Tax. These are UK registered companies, so doesn't include the Amazon's, Starbucks etc. Many have off shore HQs in tax havens such as the ROI or Luxembourg. Imo this needs to change whether Labour does anything remains to be seen.

Well that has happened consistently the past 10years or so. I don't think you can say that the Conservatives are the party for business anymore. Certainly not small business. The truth is I believe that the majority of people in this country don't actually mind paying higher taxes as long as the very wealthy and more importantly the biggest businesses pay their fair share of tax. I read an article a few years back which stated that 98% of the FTSE 100 companies paid no UK corporation Tax. These are UK registered companies, so doesn't include the Amazon's, Starbucks etc. Many have off shore HQs in tax havens such as the ROI or Luxembourg. Imo this needs to change whether Labour does anything remains to be seen.

Is it the stat that 98% use tax havens for some of their business?

Pretty sure most will pay some corporation tax, but any company that size is a byzantine mess of companies - many set up just to avoid tax, and they'll nearly all be making sure that they hide some profits somewhere warm.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.