General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
An utterly tragic day for this country tomorrow.

We have faced Covid and the incredible after effects an energy crisis all on top of the initial instability Brexit was always going to cause.

The country has got lazy. All this working from home bullshit. No cars on the road to town on a Friday, 11 million economically inactive all still using the NHS. It will get worse much much worse now.

Labour being in power is truly frightening for me.

Enjoy your victory though Comrades. All part of life’s rich tapestry.

Glad I have made my money and don’t need to start again.

The only tragedy about today is that it hasn't come years sooner.

"Glad I have made my money and don't need to start over" implies that's going to be harder now? A laughable thought given that social mobility has collapsed under recent Conservative governments.

No intelligent person can seriously defend their recent track record, they've been historically bad in multiple ways.

I've seen loads of your posts across the site that look quite sane but you seem to have gone off the deep recently on this thread. I can't tell if are just trolling or are just absolutely off your tits on something?

We have faced Covid and the incredible after effects an energy crisis all on top of the initial instability Brexit was always going to cause.

The country has got lazy. All this working from home bullshit. No cars on the road to town on a Friday, 11 million economically inactive all still using the NHS. It will get worse much much worse now.

Jesus wept, even the Tory party heirachy realise that they aren't fit to govern anymore. Every country had to deal with COVID, they dealt with it badly. The Tories forced the Brexit referendum, so that's on them, and countries like Germany have been fucked over much more by their reliance on russian gas. Our energy companies just made massive fucking profits, and should been hit with much tougher windfall taxes.

It'll be very interesting how Starmer manages the massive majority.
There'll be jobs for many but there'll also be plenty who will feel they've earned the right to a senior post.

The unions played a significant role putting a weak govt under even more pressure.
They'll be fine provided their striking members are rewarded.

Once upon-a-time a super majority (although we won't have seen anything on this scale before) would mean term after term, after term in office. But this is a different electorate.

The electorate have turned their back on the Tories, who won with an 80 seat majority last time out, so in five years time we'll start from scratch again.

The Tories will appoint a new leader (it could be anyone as it really does depend on who's left! Also think Sunak will lose his seat.) and work on solid policies.
It doesn't take much to turn the public as we've seen with this govt.

Overall Labour have managed this election expertly. They've kept away from controversial topics and said very little whilst the Tories continue to implode.
The hard part starts on Friday.
A super majority doesn't exist, it makes no odds if you have 40 more than the rest of parliament or 200, a majority is a majority either way.

Calling it a super majority is more media nonense to claim a tory wipeout is a bad thing desperately hopefull it will make some worry enough to vote as they always do not for change.

oh well, at least you still have charlie, kate and wills to keep you happy(ish), labour no longer want to abolish them ;-)

A super majority doesn't exist, it makes no odds if you have 40 more than the rest of parliament or 200, a majority is a majority either way.

Calling it a super majority is more media nonense to claim a tory wipeout is a bad thing desperately hopefull it will make some worry enough to vote as they always do not for change.
The only issue with a super majority and maybe 80 Tory seats in Parliament is with the cross party committees.

It's a low bar anyway but we could end up with MP's who have fuck all idea about what they're sitting on (I know, I know).

I wouldn’t consider myself Labour or Tory but do think any government runs out of ideas after say 10 years.

This current lot haven’t helped themselves though by having umpteen PM’s (unelected ones at that) and God knows how many different ministers - I think I read the other day there has been 13 housing ministers in 14 years. How can that be right? No sooner have they got their feet under the table, they’re shifted on. Rightly or wrongly, anyone needs time to sort a department and implement their ideas.

Starmer is said to be appointing ministers for the full 5 year term. Let’s hope he does.

Rachel Reeves is set to become not just the first woman Chancellor but the first Chancellor who was an economist. I’m hoping that alone puts us in good stead.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.