General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
I don't get why the broadcasters are not allowed to talk about the election on the day of it until 2200. They've been talking about it for 6 weeks anyway. It won't make any difference
Because it prevents a political parties owners blasting out about now (8:55pm or 2055hrs), that turnout is low in the constituency, go vote now, and possibly changing the outcome of the vote
I do a lot of work with deprived and disadvantaged communities across Greater Manchester and every barrier to participation makes it less likely a person will participate, with something as important as Democracy we should be making it easier to participate not harder because if we do not then those who do come from deprived and disadvantaged communities risk losing their voice completely. Is that really democracy?
We have had to show photographic ID for years in this part of the UK.
The polling card is not required.
Go to the polling station and exercise your democratic right, if nothing else, it can reassure you that you're voice is not being misrepresented (& yeah, if you were a Tory I would have delayed this post)

I have learnt a lot from today's experience, so yes it has been very productive despite me not voting for a candidate that will not win.

When the election furore has died down, i will explain what i have learnt.
You’d be wound up by reading the press/social media that the party you don’t want may be in power for so long, and then took it out on someone unfairly?

Its more not knowing their job. They will have received the Electoral Commission handbook, if they valued democracy they should have known that something introduced in 2017 was not an ancient law and explained it to me rather than being flippant. Read it yourself and especially the section on how to treat disabled voters. i believe she was negligent in her democratic duty and whilst my choice of language was poor, it was more frustration at how stupid our voting laws have become. They are depriving people of their democratic mandate and that fucks me off.

As Albert Camus said

"be careful, when a democracy is sick, fascism comes to its bedside, but it is not to inquire about its health"
Precious dick.
Wring your nappy out.

You aren't legally obliged to show your polling card, so I am not sure why they have kept it. I never take mine and when asked to show it, I always mention that they have no right to ask for it. I have never had an argument.
It is easier for the clerks to locate your name on the electoral roll, which cuts down on waiting time at busy periods. It is also easier for you to be directed to the correct desk in your polling station.
(I didn't have mine, but I have had the same polling station for over 35 years now, so until they change my constituency, I am at the same desk)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.