General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
As I and many others have said for many years now, government should be boring.

It should be where exceedingly dull but earnest, knowledgable, and honourable people carefully consider the costs and benefits of various policies and programs, along with their constituents general wishes, and then make educated, deliberate decisions with a view of continual assessment and modification, if needed. Accountability and conscientiousness should be the touchstones, and words should be carefully considered and revered as the ultimate power. It should be human-centred and inclusive. We, as citizens, should not be entertained, just informed and engaged, constantly looking to hold our leaders to account, regardless of political affiliation.

The current fervor to constantly put on a show for views and clicks is as much on us as it is on the politicians, as they wouldn’t do it if we didn’t respond in a way that benefits them.

Let’s Make Government Boring Again.
Lady on C4 saying the same thing now.

I want people that give bad TV interviews but give us good governance.

We’ve had the opposite for a decade and a half.

My experience at work is that you have good sales people who are ten-a-penny but break into a sweat when they're asked to open a spreadsheet, and then you have good analysts who are ten-a-penny but are frankly a bit shit at any kind of networking.

Finding people who are good at both of those skillsets is actually surprisingly hard. I once spent 3 months trying to find somebody for a role who could do both to a high standard, and it was such a struggle we ended up giving up.

My experience at work is that you have good sales people who are ten-a-penny but break into a sweat when they're asked to open a spreadsheet, and then you have good analysts who are ten-a-penny but are frankly a bit shit at any kind of networking.

Finding people who are good at both of those skillsets is actually surprisingly hard. I once spent 3 months trying to find somebody for a role who could do both to a high standard, and it was such a struggle we ended up giving up.
I suppose I am among the ten-a-penny analysts!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.