General Election June 8th

Who will you vote for at the General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 366 55.8%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 37 5.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 33 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Labour will just ruin the economy, they always end up spending more than the country can afford and this bunch of idealists will take that to a whole new level if they got in. Endless spending pledges on the NHS education and transport all funded by a mansion tax and corporation tax hike. People just arent that gullible.

and debt hasn't risen under the tories? their economic records are both as bad as each other

Labour will just ruin the economy, they always end up spending more than the country can afford and this bunch of idealists will take that to a whole new level if they got in. Endless spending pledges on the NHS education and transport all funded by a mansion tax and corporation tax hike. People just arent that gullible.

This tory government have spent more and racked up more debt than any previous labour government, we have a stagnant economy, a drop in living standards and insuficient infrastructure.
7th richest economy claiming poverty is ridiculous.

Properly designed infrastructure investment will reduce rather than increase government debt burdens. Public infrastructure investments can pay for themselves, even the IMF that has for years advocated austerity is now acknowledging this.

This labour manifesto lends a lot to a Keynesian economics and many will say that model ultimately failed.

But I like the renationalisation of the rail and mail network,
The set up of a national energy company (while keeping the private ones so choice is still there),
Having control over our national grid,
The pledge to look after our disabled veterans with affordable, energy efficient home upgrades.
Having regional national banks to help local business.
Making it a requirement that large scale business properly suppport amall business.
Comitement to spend on defence in line with nato and keep trident, while pledging that our army will be for defence and only sent abroad when other options are exhausted.
Creation of a minister for England
Protect our bee population.
Have an imigration policy that only allows those with skills needed here and who have a guaranteed job in, while protecting those EU citizens already here and asking that british migratns in the EU are given the same rights and protection on the continent.
Oppose a second Scottish referendum.
Lower the voting age to 16.
Employ 1,000 more border guards

All the other stuff on housing, rents, NHS have been stated already.

Even if you don't agree with labour or it's ideals and find all this wrong, at least, at last the peole are being given a choice of different outlooks for our country, from tory, labour, lib dem, greens and ukip, rather than the first 3 copying each other and sounding similar, while the other 2 propose their own ideas also as always.

Expect it's gonna be all , it's pie in the sky, back to the 70's blah blah blah for the next few pages, but I like the idea that instead of telling us it's all shit, get used to it, but at least were plodding along, why not have hope instead for once.

Last edited:
This tory government have spent more and racked up more debt than any previous labour government, we have a stagnant economy, a drop in living standards and insuficient infrastructure.
7th richest economy claiming poverty is ridiculous.

Properly designed infrastructure investment will reduce rather than increase government debt burdens. Public infrastructure investments can pay for themselves, even the IMF that has for years advocated austerity is now acknowledging this.

This labour manifesto lends a lot to a Keynesian economics and many will say that model ultimately failed.

But I like the renationalisation of the rail and mail network,
The set up of a national energy company (while keeping the private ones so choice is still there),
Having control over our national grid,
The pledge to look after our disabled veterans with affordable, energy efficient home upgrades.
Having regional national banks to help local business.
Making it a requirement that large scale business properly suppport amall business.
Comitement to spend on defence in line with nato and keep trident, while pledging that our army will be for defence and only sent abroad when other options are exhausted.
Creation of a minister for England
Protect our bee population.
Have an imigration policy that only allows those with skills needed here and who have a guaranteed job in, while protecting those EU citizens already here and asking that british migratns in the EU are given the same rights and protection on the continent.
Oppose a second Scottish referendum.
Lower the voting age to 16.
Employ 1,000 more border guards

All the other stuff on housing, rents, NHS have been stated already.

Even if you don't agree with labour or it's ideals and find all this wrong, at least, at last the peole are being given a choice of different outlooks for our country, from tory, labour, lib dem, greens and ukip, rather than the first 3 copying each other and sounding similar, while the other 2 propose their own ideas also as always.

Expect it's gonna be all , it's pie in the sky, back to the 70's blah blah blah for the next few pages, but I like the idea that instead of telling us it's all shit, get used to it, but at least were plodding along, why not have hope instead for once.

But we dont have a stagnant economy. Gdp is rising unemployment falling and investment increasing.

The last Labour government cut corporation tax for big business while putting it up for small business. I know as i run a small bisiness. They also abololished the 10k level on profit where a small buisness paid no corp tax.

They massively expanded privatisation in the NHS through pfi building schemes whch have sadleled many nhs trusts with spiralling huge debts they cant sustain. This was something that was initially opposed by labour when proposed by John Majors Government in the 90s. But when they came to power they expanded it.

I like some of the things this labour opposition are sugesting like scrapping tuition fees and nationalising railways and utility companies which have always been just monopolys with no real competitive markets but im affraid they have just not been funded correctly. I believe the country should try and balance the books. Only spend what it earns. Thats how we run our household and that makes sense to me. Add to the small fact that the last labour government got us involved in two illegal wars which i will never forgive them for and i find it hard to comprehend ever voting labour again.

All that said i will not be voting Tory this time either as they have cut funding to my daughters school despite promising not to. Tuition fees is a total disaster the scale of the fees are totally dissproportinate to the tuition you receive . My eldest does history at sheffield and has 11hrs of tuition a week and still has 9k of fees compred to someone on a science degree who has 30hrs. The means testing is also shameful, if I as a parent are deemed to be able to support 1 child thru uni then i am deemed to be just as able to support 3 or more, there is no sliding scale. Even the loan she gets as a student is means tested ie she doesnt get as much. We are not a wealthy family but these extra taxes, as that is what they are, weigh heavilly on our family finances. And dont get me started on the inequalities of devolution that have resulted in me living in northern England and getting less funding than anywhere else on the uk. My local mp is a tory, Fiona Bruce I will be emailing her to tell her why I will not be voting for her this election for a number of the reasons explained above. But labour I feel would be disasterous for our econmomy so clearly I wont be voting for them either. In reality I am very disilusioned with politics in this country.

Last edited:
Fuck me - that was a hard read.

I had to take quite a few breaks and come back to it.

Are you also an exponent of Sungazing?? You know - "...............something that is sometimes done as part of a spiritual or religious practice.............", but can be ever so damaging?

that was a fucking really - I mean really - hard read and frankly - speaks a lot about you if, as you say:

"I came across this and loved it....."

Oh mate - come out of the bedroom and get a life - I am sure that there are a number of us on here that would agree to sign up to some form of 'save the fumble pledge' - where we could sacrifice our personal time to take it turns to take you out and look after you.

I will put myself down for 2 days next season - only when CITY are playing at home mind - I am sure that there are enough on here to volunteer - with or without a carers allowance to get you through the year
Well put sir.

But we dont have a stagnant economy. Gdp is rising unemployment falling and investment increasing.

By all recent accounts (last month or so) GDP has slowed as inflation has hit, property values have stagnated so far this year thanks to a decline in job creation and a squeeze on household finances with inflation increasing.
Wages are going nowhere at present while the cost of living is rising.
Unemployment figures are a fudge, I know that in my work in higher and further education, we supply the courses to the unemployed sent by the job centre and while on the course they are reclasified on the unemployment records as studying even though they are still unemployed, we have 60-100 at any time, times that by the whole country and there is a lot of unemployed purposely omitted from official figures on a technicality.
If it wasn't for consumer spending the economy would be faltering.

Surely you like the idea as a small business of the regional investment banks, and protection from large companies taking the piss out of small.

I can understand why labour lost you after how they acted in the end when in power, but this manifesto and the ideas put forward vary a lot from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.