General Election June 8th

Who will you vote for at the General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 366 55.8%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 37 5.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 33 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Tories in government without a decent majority is a hugely toxic party, internally.

They are so divided on Europe. Still. There are people within that party who will be hugely poisonous at what they will see as too slow a pace of withdrawal. She'll need a decent majority to keep them on a leash. Brexit will require a steady hand, if it's going to be relatively painless. Don't see May, with a small majority, keeping it all together and delivering the goods; not based on her piss poor performance over the last few weeks. I happen to think that how someone conducts an election campaign is hugely indicative of the tactical and strategic decisions they would make in office and negotiating an exit treaty. It's wholly analogous.

If her credibly is shot btw, that fortifies my point further. She'll be a fucking liability at the negotiating table.

Quite simply, right now, I'd rather have Corbyn conducting those negotiations.

Disagree with the last sentence. Even if Labour do "win" from here then the chances of them having an overall majority are miniscule. Its still going to be a minority government. So the negotiations would depend on Corbyn reaching an agreement on negotiating strategy with the SNP and possibly the LibDems. Two parties that don't believe we should be negotiating in the first place (one of which doesn't want to be part of the UK once the negotiations are complete) and a government that is half hearted at best. I voted Remain and would welcome a 2nd referendum, but not in those circumstances. It would tear the country apart.

How big could be hugely relevant. Needs to be by a decent margin. Otherwise, what's the fucking point?

From callling the election, to refusing to engage in the debates she's displayed spectacularly bad judgement. So much so, I now think Corbyn would be the lesser of two evils.

I am the same but then I think of dianne as Home Secretary and I think I won't bother voting at all....

That's a coincidence Corbyn deciding to attend "the debate" at the last minute, and, being greeted by the "most left wing audience in history" and being loudly cheered by the vast majority all the time just saying

You love an analogy, so you live in Manchester and enjoy your beer. In your local, where you happily know everyone it's £3.50 per pint. You can buy beer at the pub next door for £3 but it's not as comfy and you don't know the people as well so fuck it. Your local then changes management and they decide to take the price to £6.50 per pint. You think fuck this, I'll try next door after all.

Added to that many companies are there:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/05/ireland-attracts-soaring-level-of-us-investment

As has also been stated, especially when added to Brexit, many may well locate there to stay within the single market and increasing the current rate to more than double that of the English speaking cousins who reside on our doorstep would be foolhardy.

That analogy presumes we're doubling almost so doesn't make sense.

Using your own analogy wouldn't it be more accurate to suggest a pint used to cost £4, now costs £3.90 and is going back to £4?

Even the Financial Times is saying that the Conservative plan to reduce the deficit by the equivalent of 1% of GDP in both 2018 and 2019 will weaken growth significantly.

Well I'm no finance expert but surely that's one journalists opinion?

I don't see how corporation tax cuts and cuts to the public sector would do that.

That analogy presumes we're doubling almost so doesn't make sense.

Using your own analogy wouldn't it be more accurate to suggest a pint used to cost £4, now costs £3.90 and is going back to £4?

Yeah but now the music is too loud and you can't hear anyone.

You have to be careful of social media bubbles though. No one I work with has even mentioned the election. We all know that middle England in the marginals hold the answer and I can't see anything but a Tory win by an increased majority. How big it is isn't that relevant.

I'd agree with that Hilts. Social media comment is dominated by the young and liberal and I really think people are coming to false presumptions about a possible election upset. The tories will still have a very strong majority, I'd be shocked otherwise.
May will be lucky to hold on to her job regardless, I cannot fathom how poorly she's run the election.
I'll add I'm neither a tory, nor even British, just an interested outsider.

I'd agree with that Hilts. Social media comment is dominated by the young and liberal and I really think people are coming to false presumptions about a possible election upset. The tories will still have a very strong majority, I'd be shocked otherwise.
May will be lucky to hold on to her job regardless, I cannot fathom how poorly she's run the election.
I'll add I'm neither a tory, nor even British, just an interested outsider.

I think she was hoping that labour would do her job for her based on the last couple of years of in fighting and general fuckwittery. Unfortunately for her they seem to be pretty bullish in staying on point and appearing unified. As recent events have shown us polls cannot be trusted but the Tories decided to swallow them hook line and sinker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.