General Videogame Thread

Its just fill rate. entirely depends what they are throwing at it.

Both MS and Sony are claiming the same think, 8k + 120fps, however this will be on very specific games designed for it, not a standard AAA cross platform game.

It is absolute bollocks that lmao, the same way they said 4k for ps4 pro, its just upscaled none of it was rendered 4k.

It is absolute bollocks that lmao, the same way they said 4k for ps4 pro, its just upscaled none of it was rendered 4k.

Sorry, its not bollocks at all, if I wanted to make a game on platform X to target the max FPS and max screen res you design the game around doing that.

in a cross platform AAA game you sacrifice the ability to push a console to its maximum for those cross platform abilities.

you cant compare the 2. Sony's / MS's claim's wont be false but it wont be applicable to cross platform AAA titles. its games made to do it.

Last edited:
Sorry, its not bollocks at all, if I wanted to make a game on platform X to target the max FPS and max screen res you design the game around doing that.

in a cross platform AAA game you sacrifice the ability to push a console to its maximum for those cross platform abilities.

you cant compare the 2. Sony's / MS's claim's wont be false but it wont be applicable to cross platform AAA titles. its games made to do it.

So it currently costs 15k to make 8k in 120fps but you reckon both of them can do it on a machine they are selling for £500 don't chat shit.

So it currently costs 15k to make 8k in 120fps but you reckon both of them can do it on a machine they are selling for £500 don't chat shit.

A PC will never ever use hardware fully, there are too many configurations and variations out there to do so. so yeah you have to spend a ton to get very very high end output.

A console is a set bit of kit that you target it fully and hit the metal to get out as much as you can, its why console games get better over the years as dev's learn the hardware.

So yeah, If a game is made targeting 8k 120fps on a top end bit of hardware then its perfectly doable ( obviously assuming outputs can handle it, HDMI hardware etc ), you just have to design a game and art assets correctly and make the code target that hardware properly to make it do it. its will likely be exclusive to 1 console though as the work to get it running full whack on 2 bits of kit is very heavy.

Bit of background, I've been a pro games dev for 20+ years, I do actually know what im talking about.

Last edited:
A PC will never ever use hardware fully, there are too many configurations and variations out there to do so. so yeah you have to spend a ton to get very very high end output.

A console is a set bit of kit that you target it fully and hit the metal to get out as much as you can, its why console games get better over the years as dev's learn the hardware.

So yeah, If a game is made targeting 8k 120fps on a top end bit of hardware then its perfectly doable ( obviously assuming outputs can handle it, HDMI hardware etc ), you just have to design a game and art assets correctly and make the code target that hardware properly to make it do it. its will likely be exclusive to 1 console though as the work to get it running full whack on 2 bits of kit is very heavy.

Bit of background, I've been a pro games dev for 20+ years, I do actually know what im talking about.

You can be whatever you want mate, the consoles haven't been given the GPU capable of producing that. And I highly doubt they will have the cooling system either. You are talking about maxing out all the hardware overclocking it to get them kind of figures the consoles will be burnt out failing left right and centre.

Consoles are always a gen behind PC but you are saying they will be doing shit even the best PCs are unable to do at the moment, it is just isn't going to happen. Playstation and Microsoft are making bold claims knowing full well it ain't happening. Show me the games on the current playstations that are true 4k with 60fps.

You can be whatever you want mate, the consoles haven't been given the GPU capable of producing that. And I highly doubt they will have the cooling system either. You are talking about maxing out all the hardware overclocking it to get them kind of figures the consoles will be burnt out failing left right and centre.

Consoles are always a gen behind PC but you are saying they will be doing shit even the best PCs are unable to do at the moment, it is just isn't going to happen. Playstation and Microsoft are making bold claims knowing full well it ain't happening. Show me the games on the current playstations that are true 4k with 60fps.

of course they have. a game can be what ever I want it to be to match the specs required. If I 100% want to hit 120fps at 8k then I make sure I dont draw an huge amount of poly's/objects. have decent texture reuse, limit draw distances by design etc etc. Its just fill rate that can be controlled by a decent design.

of course they have. a game can be what ever I want it to be to match the specs required. If I 100% want to hit 120fps at 8k then I make sure I dont draw an huge amount of poly's/objects. have decent texture reuse, limit draw distances by design etc etc. Its just fill rate that can be controlled by a decent design.

Another stumbling block to all of this is how an earth is anyone going to store the games including on PC, only Ubisoft have decent compression.

Another stumbling block to all of this is how an earth is anyone going to store the games including on PC, only Ubisoft have decent compression.

while there is no doubt game sizes will increase. as textures sizes and audio quality increases, there's certainly no requirement for them to do so tho especially with procedural generated graphics..

It is actually one of the more interesting points of the PS5 where they are talking about ultra fast SSD's. How bloody big is that think gonna have to be!. im gonna guess it will be 256gb, maybe 512gb and Sony will set some size limits, probably the 100gb limit on a blu-ray.

But all in all a 3D model is a 3D model, the render window size is pretty irreverent to that, be it 1080p or 8k. I could take the assets from Wipeout on a PSVita and use that on PS5 at 8k if I wanted too ( if I had access to a PS5 :( ). its just geometry and textures.

Last edited:
while there is no doubt game sizes will increase. as textures sizes and audio quality increases, there's certainly no requirement for them to do so tho especially with procedural generated graphics..

It is actually one of the more interesting points of the PS5 where they are talking about ultra fast SSD's. How bloody big is that think gonna have to be!. im gonna guess it will be 256gb, maybe 512gb and Sony will set some size limits, probably the 100gb limit on a blu-ray.

But all in all a 3D model is a 3D model, the render window size is pretty irreverent to that, be it 1080p or 8k. I could take the assets from Wipeout on a PSVita and use that on PS5 at 8k if I wanted too ( if I had access to a PS5 :( ). its just geometry and textures.

Battlefield V on PC with updates is taking up 90gb alone on mine, doing a whole new rebuild with NVME SSD later in the year hopefully. A lot of people download there games now I doubt anything less than 1tb will be acceptable as a bare minimum.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.