General Videogame Thread

So it currently costs 15k to make 8k in 120fps but you reckon both of them can do it on a machine they are selling for £500 don't chat shit.
The 2080TI is like a grand and thats the only real card on the market that does 4k at ultra settings. No chance will they be doing 8k for £500

just to try to get my point across. As I think there are some expectation you have in the conversation.

“At Ultra settings” being the point.

No one has claimed that they will be able to do that specifically. Just that they can support 8k and 120fps. Even if it’s “at low settings” on those sorts of games it’s still doing it.

Which is why I’ve been saying it’s all about designing the game to work to the spec. As you can make excellent looking games that wouldn’t be classed as “ultra settings” if you know what I mean.

my £500 quid work pc happily runs medal of honour from a few years back at 4K with medium settings.

while there is no doubt game sizes will increase. as textures sizes and audio quality increases, there's certainly no requirement for them to do so tho especially with procedural generated graphics..

It is actually one of the more interesting points of the PS5 where they are talking about ultra fast SSD's. How bloody big is that think gonna have to be!. im gonna guess it will be 256gb, maybe 512gb and Sony will set some size limits, probably the 100gb limit on a blu-ray.

But all in all a 3D model is a 3D model, the render window size is pretty irreverent to that, be it 1080p or 8k. I could take the assets from Wipeout on a PSVita and use that on PS5 at 8k if I wanted too ( if I had access to a PS5 :( ). its just geometry and textures.

I'm sure I read something that said space would be saved because in the past they have put x-hundred of the same trees (for example) on the disc/data so they can be quickly retrieved, whereas now they will only need a handful because the SSD means their retrieval will be that much quicker

just to try to get my point across. As I think there are some expectation you have in the conversation.

“At Ultra settings” being the point.

No one has claimed that they will be able to do that specifically. Just that they can support 8k and 120fps. Even if it’s “at low settings” on those sorts of games it’s still doing it.

Which is why I’ve been saying it’s all about designing the game to work to the spec. As you can make excellent looking games that wouldn’t be classed as “ultra settings” if you know what I mean.

my £500 quid work pc happily runs medal of honour from a few years back at 4K with medium settings.

Well yeah when i say 8k 120fps I am also saying that the game is using top setting and isn't just getting there by fucking about just to support it. It's like buying a cheap mercedes and whacking an AMG bodykit on it and then comparing it to the real AMG

Battlefield V on PC with updates is taking up 90gb alone on mine, doing a whole new rebuild with NVME SSD later in the year hopefully. A lot of people download there games now I doubt anything less than 1tb will be acceptable as a bare minimum.

wouls be interesting to see the breakdown of what uses that, I know Titan fall had something like 35bg of uncompressed audio alone which is insane.

I'm sure I read something that said space would be saved because in the past they have put x-hundred of the same trees (for example) on the disc/data so they can be quickly retrieved, whereas now they will only need a handful because the SSD means their retrieval will be that much quicker

heh. We had a good chat about that trying to work out what the hell he was talking about :)

could only assume he was referencing level packs or something. Where all the assets for a level get added to a single file on disk for downloading, as 1 file download is a lot faster than trying to seek to hundred on disk as that has lost a of laser movement. But within that file you would still instance things like trees.

seemed quite an odd example.

heh. We had a good chat about that trying to work out what the hell he was talking about :)

could only assume he was referencing level packs or something. Where all the assets for a level get added to a single file on disk for downloading, as 1 file download is a lot faster than trying to seek to hundred on disk as that has lost a of laser movement. But within that file you would still instance things like trees.

seemed quite an odd example.

Apologies, I glossed over your conversation!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.