General Videogame Thread

Do you have a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc etc already?
Hi mate,

Nope I am starting from scratch.

So much options so I am hoping to narrow it down if possible.

The MSI looks good but I think I would be paying for the brand rather than the hardware.

The aim is to have a decent build and then I can add upgrade if needed in the future.

Should I look for extra SSD for example?

What brand would you recommend?

Graphics Card? Nvidia?

Should I go with Intel i5?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Last edited:
Hi mate,

Nope I am starting from scratch.

So much options so I am hoping to narrow it down if possible.

The MSI looks good but I think I would be paying from the brand rather than the hardware.

The aim is to have a decent build and then I can add upgrade if needed in the future.

Should I look for extra SSD for example?

What brand would you recommend?

Graphics Card? Nvidia?

Should I go with Intel i5?

Thanks for getting back to me.
Personally I would go NVIDIA for GPU.
AMD for CPU. You can often get a good deal on MB and CPU combos.

Don't skimp out on a power unit either.
You also want a good motherboard. I believe you can use b450 boards with the latest Ryzen CPUs. These are much cheaper than new boards but can have a lot of the features such as built in WiFi etc.

I would try and get an NVME SSD to boot Windows on. Get one large enough to run your games on. Minimum 1TB really.

A large HDD for media such as photos and music.

AIO water pumps are great and look wicked but I would recommend leaving that until future. The cooler that comes with an AMD Ryzen CPU is very good.

Make sure you research a good case too. NZXT make nice looking cases but they aren't the best for airflow.
I am looking to move into one of these soon.

I have mine connected to my tv in lounge and use a wireless keyboard and dual sense controller.

I would recommend Scan computers in Bolton for any parts. I've also used amazon and overclockers.

And this website is brilliant. Lots of tutorials and guides.
You can choose the parts you are interested in and not only will it find you a price but more importantly it will show if they are compatible with each other.

Little bit off topic:

I am looking to buy a gaming Pc.

Budget around £1000-1500 if possible.

Should I take the time and build?

I want to make sure the specs are good enough to play AAA titles.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
I'd suggest looking in Curry's warehouse at the end of the new road if you are going pre built

Personally I would go NVIDIA for GPU.
AMD for CPU. You can often get a good deal on MB and CPU combos.

Don't skimp out on a power unit either.
You also want a good motherboard. I believe you can use b450 boards with the latest Ryzen CPUs. These are much cheaper than new boards but can have a lot of the features such as built in WiFi etc.

I would try and get an NVME SSD to boot Windows on. Get one large enough to run your games on. Minimum 1TB really.

A large HDD for media such as photos and music.

AIO water pumps are great and look wicked but I would recommend leaving that until future. The cooler that comes with an AMD Ryzen CPU is very good.

Make sure you research a good case too. NZXT make nice looking cases but they aren't the best for airflow.
I am looking to move into one of these soon.

I have mine connected to my tv in lounge and use a wireless keyboard and dual sense controller.

I would recommend Scan computers in Bolton for any parts. I've also used amazon and overclockers.

And this website is brilliant. Lots of tutorials and guides.
You can choose the parts you are interested in and not only will it find you a price but more importantly it will show if they are compatible with each other.
Thanks for the info bud.

I will investigate and take the advice onboard.

Do not buy a pre-built PC. Anyone, even with zero experience, can build a PC. It’s as simple as slotting components together and can be done by following very simple YouTube videos.

It also makes maintenance simple as you know which component is which.

You also pay less for better.

Little bit off topic:

I am looking to buy a gaming Pc.

Budget around £1000-1500 if possible.

Should I take the time and build?

I want to make sure the specs are good enough to play AAA titles.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Just built one with JNR.

For that budget you can build something very decent but the key with building is you can keep adding to it. We started of looking at:

Chip AMD 5 3600.
Board rog strix b550-f gaming
Graphics msi gtx 1050 ti.

This is the sweet spot for value/performance/upgradable. Its a mid price board and lower end GPU on a mid/high end CPU. But the board can take an ultra high end processor or graphics card. We went with a cheap case and mid point 500w power supply. 2x corsair 8gb ram and just a single SSD at the moment . Without any peripherals (which we have) this was about £700.

Its a great system and it will be compatible with the next generation of AMD chips. So going forward we can just add hard drives for more memory and upgrade the graphics and processor if we feel it needs it but to be honest you get massive performance out of a build like this. The only problem you will have is availability of parts - there has been a massive rush on during lockdown and pre christmas so some things are just sold out everywhere.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.