Gerard Wiekens

BlueMooney

I've been terrible at keeping my current City project quiet and I've blabbed about it to so many people that I think it's not worth trying to keep schtum. Anyway - next May, I'll be releasing a book about the 1999 playoff final team and will (hopefully) have interviewed all 14 in the squad that day, plus the manager.

I've done a chunk of the interviews now, but I'm just back from the Netherlands having spoken to Gerard Wiekens. I was expecting to fly out there and meet up with him, have a chat about everything and then spend the rest of the day wandering around Groningen.

However, he came to my hotel to do the interview and then, when we'd finished, he offered to take me to Groningen FC's training ground to look around (where he now works with the youth team). From there, we had a look at their stadium, and then he took me to SC Veendam's stadium, where he began and finished his playing career (he left them to join City and re-joined when we released him).

Veendam went out of business last March and the club no longer exists, so the stadium sits empty. The following is as close as we could get:

Screenshot2013-10-17at174225.png

It was a fascinating day and he's one of the most hospitable guys I've ever met. He even took me back to his house to see his memorabilia from his playing career and I met his wife, too.

I can't speak highly enough about him and he's a very humble guy - I'll put an edited version of the interview in one of the upcoming podcasts and on Blue Moon Live (on Imagine FM), but, of course, some of it will be held back for the book. *ahem* ;)

Wiekens was right up there as one of my favourite players of that era.
He was as cool as a cucumber and always had time and space.
Good to know he is a nice guy also.

i really look forward to the book - sounds like a great project and a great read.
Good luck with it.

Bumped into Ged with his young lads (I assume they were his) outside the Amsterdam Arena when we played Ajax last season. As the OP says, a really nice bloke who clearly enjoyed his time at City. Good luck with the book.

BlueMooney said:
I've been terrible at keeping my current City project quiet and I've blabbed about it to so many people that I think it's not worth trying to keep schtum. Anyway - next May, I'll be releasing a book about the 1999 playoff final team and will (hopefully) have interviewed all 14 in the squad that day, plus the manager.

I've done a chunk of the interviews now, but I'm just back from the Netherlands having spoken to Gerard Wiekens. I was expecting to fly out there and meet up with him, have a chat about everything and then spend the rest of the day wandering around Groningen.

However, he came to my hotel to do the interview and then, when we'd finished, he offered to take me to Groningen FC's training ground to look around (where he now works with the youth team). From there, we had a look at their stadium, and then he took me to SC Veendam's stadium, where he began and finished his playing career (he left them to join City and re-joined when we released him).

Veendam went out of business last March and the club no longer exists, so the stadium sits empty. The following is as close as we could get:

It was a fascinating day and he's one of the most hospitable guys I've ever met. He even took me back to his house to see his memorabilia from his playing career and I met his wife, too.

I can't speak highly enough about him and he's a very humble guy - I'll put an edited version of the interview in one of the upcoming podcasts and on Blue Moon Live (on Imagine FM), but, of course, some of it will be held back for the book. *ahem* ;)

What a shame about Veendam,looking at the pitch it looks like it has been looked after,is there any chance of them reforming?<br /><br />-- Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:12 pm --<br /><br />
der-bomber said:
Ged Wiekens and Lucien Mettomo played as a makeshift centre-back pairing in the the last Maine Road Derby . He was immaculate and had van nistle-horseface in his back pocket the whole game .

I shit myself when I saw those two at the centre before the game but they were awesome that day.

Like Wellard,Mettomo was also a decent man.

Tbilisi said:
BlueMooney said:

What a shame about Veendam,looking at the pitch it looks like it has been looked after,is there any chance of them reforming?

Sadly not, it seems. The fans have tried to do something similar as Chester fans did recently, but my understanding is that it never got off the ground. The pitch is maintained because an amateur club uses it, so they keep it.

He spent about 20 years there as a youth teamer, player, and a coach, so says it left a big hole when they went under.

Wiekens was great for us. Weaver Morrison Wiekens Horlock Goater Dickov...I loved watching them lads as much as I love watching our current lads.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.