Germany

without a dream said:
Ruhr said:
you are right.

There are Berlin pubs that survived from 1900 or even older, but they are not that type of beer garden or beer cellar type of pubs. That is a southern german thing.

There is an Augustiner Keller in Berlin though, or there used to be, it's several years since I visited.

yes, there is, but these are not historical and original Berlin pubs.

I can recommend "Around Berlin in 80 Beers" which will lead you to some fantastic, if not very old, pubs of all types. The area around Nikolaikirche has some beautifully recreations of mediaeval pubs, but you often need to book. Beer prices were low for a major city, as was food.

I never failed to be impressed when I visit the place.

People are absolutely spot on. Was at the game last night with my mate who is visually impaired. My knee's a bit knackered so neither of us fancied the trek up the stairs to the gods. Spoke to a Bayern steward who took us in the stadium at ground level slap bang on the halfway line. Surrounded by Germans, my mate had colours on, but not one bit of mither. Same on the tram back to the centre.

Got a tram to the main station today and the journey planner suggested the stop for Hauptbanhof Nord, not Hauptbanhof itself. Got off and it was a 2min walk to our platform through the quieter side entrance.

On the train to Dusseldorf on the ICE and 2nd class is better than the 1st class on Virgin Trains. They've got an actual bar on the train. I've seen a waitress take several pints (in glasses) of draught pilsener down the train. Wi-fi is €5 for 24hours. Been through a few long tunnels and not buffered once. Off to Borussia Moenchengladback V Villareal in the Europa tonight. €8.50 for two tickets.

Great place.

Blue Punter said:

People are absolutely spot on. Was at the game last night with my mate who is visually impaired. My knee's a bit knackered so neither of us fancied the trek up the stairs to the gods. Spoke to a Bayern steward who took us in the stadium at ground level slap bang on the halfway line. Surrounded by Germans, my mate had colours on, but not one bit of mither. Same on the tram back to the centre.

Got a tram to the main station today and the journey planner suggested the stop for Hauptbanhof Nord, not Hauptbanhof itself. Got off and it was a 2min walk to our platform through the quieter side entrance.

On the train to Dusseldorf on the ICE and 2nd class is better than the 1st class on Virgin Trains. They've got an actual bar on the train. I've seen a waitress take several pints (in glasses) of draught pilsener down the train. Wi-fi is €5 for 24hours. Been through a few long tunnels and not buffered once. Off to Borussia Moenchengladback V Villareal in the Europa tonight. €8.50 for two tickets.

Great place.

ditto.

great people. great country.
ok we always get beat but can't wait to go back.

Blue Punter said:

Great place.

sounds great BP! I've never been to Germany at all but it is on my "list" hopefully next year

BlueBearBoots said:
Blue Punter said:

Great place.

sounds great BP! I've never been to Germany at all but it is on my "list" hopefully next year

Wherever you go, you won't be disappointed.

I've been to the races a couple of times at Baden-Baden & Cologne. I've done quite a few courses in the UK & France. Cologne was the best day out I've had on a track, despite not backing a winner all day. None of this class bullshit like in the UK. You pay your entrance money (20e for 4 people) and go where you want.

Blue Punter said:
BlueBearBoots said:
Blue Punter said:

Great place.

I've been to the races a couple of times at Baden-Baden & Cologne. I've done quite a few courses in the UK & France. Cologne was the best day out I've had on a track, despite not backing a winner all day. None of this class bullshit like in the UK. You pay your entrance money (20e for 4 people) and go where you want.

I was pushing Cologne for our Christmas do this year but we are going to Copenhagen instead. Now you've told me that though about the races I'll definitely try and include a day at the races if I get there next year ta

BlueBearBoots said:
Blue Punter said:
BlueBearBoots said:

I was pushing Cologne for our Christmas do this year but we are going to Copenhagen instead. Now you've told me that though about the races I'll definitely try and include a day at the races if I get there next year ta

We were sat in a grandstand that wouldn't have looked out of place at Ascot. Got an outside table overlooking the winning post and had table service all afternoon. Worked out about 1.50e for a half of Kolsch pilsener. After racing we went in the upstairs restaurant with the owners & trainers, which cost 100e for the 4 of us. A hot and cold buffet, with a BBQ the size of a snooker table serving up sirloin steaks and marinaded chicken. Icing on the cake was complimentary wine all night. Out of this world.

Booked 2 night stay for next May at the Plaza Wall street hotel on Wallstrasse for £138 for 2. And payed £ 183 for flights.. Cant wait now , just need to sort out a itinery

sky tot said:
Booked 2 night stay for next May at the Plaza Wall street hotel on Wallstrasse for £138 for 2. And payed £ 183 for flights.. Cant wait now , just need to sort out a itinery

should have booked for sept when we play them again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.