Germany's far right

We always worry about the Germans, I find them to be a real decent nation.

Anybody met a German lately?
My brother in law is married to a German girl...hes from here (NI) and they live in Berlin with their 3 kids. Theyve just returned having stayed with us for a few days....we were over there last year, and the year before.
German is a great country....i lived there a couple of times as a kid and have always found the Germans to be lovely, really nice. Of course, like all countries there are dicks, and they are mortified and concerned at the likes of the AfD

I don't think we, in Britain, are in any place to criticise any other country when we have empowered far-right nutjobs like 30p Lee and Nigel Farage, to name but two.

Any country has a large minority of utter twats and we are no exception. God knows when human evolution will resume. I hope fairly soon, or we are all fucked.

I don't think we, in Britain, are in any place to criticise any other country when we have empowered far-right nutjobs like 30p Lee and Nigel Farage, to name but two.

Any country has a large minority of utter twats and we are no exception. God knows when human evolution will resume. I hope fairly soon, or we are all fucked.
Hows farage far right? Is he??

Of course he is. The Overton window has shifted so far right in this country that it's untrue. People no longer recognise a fascist when they see one. They don't all wear jackboots and snazzy uniforms.

It's actually laughable that he still manages to pull it off but some people are just that daft or share similar extreme views.

They won't get far.

The people will push back.
I'm sadly not so optimistic. The AfD is polling higher than ever at the moment (about 20% nationally). What's more, under its new leader Friedrich Merz the CDU is moving to the right on every issue, especially immigration and 'integration.' Merz recently floated in an interview the idea of collaboration between the CDU and AfD at the local level, breaking a longstanding commitment in all the major parties to maintaining a 'Brandmauer' (firewall) against any cooperation with the far right. To be fair, he was condemned by many of his party mates, but the direction of travel is pretty clear. And if Merz wants to achieve his agenda (a Thatcherite destruction of Germany's public sector and welfare state, plus extra xenophobia and racism) he will need to work with the AfD, which he personally at least would be very happy to do. (I'm not a fan, to say the least.)

Incidentally, the collapsing poll scores of the ruling centre-left coalition should be a warning sign to Kier Starmer's Labour. It's all very well to get into power, but if once you get there you have no charisma, no vision, no policy, and no desire to actually make things better for the mass of people, they will abandon you and the right wing will benefit...

Just read this, a decent read:

But also found this:

The Hungarian leader once said he was ‘going to disrupt the EU from the inside’.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.