Long Forgotten Testimonials

TheGhost

Barnsley v City - Testimonial game for a Barnsley player who didn’t play for City?

May 1998 a few days after we were relegated at Stoke.

I went with half a mini bus of Leve Blues. We were the only City fans there in a very sparsely populated Oakwell. I think we lost which was no surprise.

I can’t find a record of it anywhere. I’ve searched the internet and archive copies of the Manchester Evening News. And nothing at all has turned up about the game.

Can anyone prove it actually happened?

@GaryJames - can you help with this one?

Did anyone else on here go?

Last edited:
Barnsley v City - Testimonial game.

May 1998 a few days after we were relegated at Stoke.

I went with half a mini bus of Leve Blues. We were the only City fans there in a very sparsely populated Oakwell. I think we lost which was no surprise.

I can’t find a record of it anywhere. I’ve searched the internet and archive copies of the Manchester Evening News. And nothing at all has turned up about the game.

Can anyone prove it actually happened?

@GaryJames - can you help with this one?

Did anyone else on here go?
It might be the product of some weird fever dream but I have some vague recollection of attending the game in question. In fact, I can picture parts of it in my mind's eye. That is, unless I'm getting it completely confused with another away trip around that time!

Off topic, but did anyone go to Martin "Tin" Foyle's testimonial at Vale Park?

I’m not 100% sure of the year, but I think it might have been just after we’d won promotion back to the Premier League in 2000. Joe Royle was definitely the manager.

There was a very good crowd; most of whom were there to see Robbie Williams, who turned out to be a half-decent footballer.

I've asked this question before on here and got no response..but did anyone on here go to Meadow Lane Notts County Feb or March 1980 for a testimonial for Jimmy Sirrells right hand man whose name escapes me at no

It was a midweek game ,city won 2nil and Big Mal brought the 1st team down as a mark of respect .Dave Bennet scored for us .
Trevor Christie was up front for them .I stood on their old Spion Kop end with a Notts County daft mate who had told me about the match or I'd never have known....the Match was days or weeks after my 1st ever game ,a 4nil defeat at Forest in the league ..Tony Henry got the other iirc ...I've got a team sheet stored away somewhere

Edit. It was Jack Wheelers testimonial. Just texted a county mate and He replied in 'seconds.impressive!

Last edited:
Off topic, but did anyone go to Martin "Tin" Foyle's testimonial at Vale Park?

I’m not 100% sure of the year, but I think it might have been just after we’d won promotion back to the Premier League in 2000. Joe Royle was definitely the manager.

There was a very good crowd; most of whom were there to see Robbie Williams, who turned out to be a half-decent footballer.
Pretty sure Robbie scored a penalty against us as well that night

Another testimonial I attended was at Exeter City, which Frank Newton (he of Imre Banana fame), and possibly @Mad Eyed Screamer, attended.

It was the summer of 1991. At the time, there were rumours doing the rounds that we were going to sign Dean Saunders.

At one point, during the second half, City had a corner, and we were standing right behind the goal.

Peter Reid - then player / manager - was standing on one of the posts, and Frank asked him, "Is Swales going to give you the money, Peter?

"I fucking hope so," was Reidy's response

I’ve searched the internet and archive copies of the Manchester Evening News. And nothing at all has turned up about the game.

. . . . . . .
Did they have a report on our CL Final? Doesn't surprise me that the MUEN didn't give us a couple of column inches. They were probably filling it wi' Ferguson puffery!

And while we're on testiclemonials, hands up if yer went to the Bert Trautmann testimonial? Aha, just as I thought - 670m!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.