Long Forgotten Testimonials

Not quite testimonial territory...so please bump or move as required....... but dies anyone remember the pre season tournament we played at Maine Rd, late 80s, Us, Utd, Athletics Minero and PSV, had completely dropped my mind until this moment. From what I recall it was all played in one day'

Lake's which took an absolute age to organise and played v Rags in 1997 the day after both clubs had played on the Saturday.
Anyway, as part of his testimonial I entered a competition in the testimonial brochure and won a price for seats for 4 in the chairman’s lounge. Unfortunately the game was the infamous Bury home defeat v Bury on Valentine’s Day 1998.
We got absolutely leathered on free wine and beer and end up being ushered into Tudor Thomas’s room at full time as there was a lot of big wig activity which resulted the next day in Frank Clark being sacked.
When we left the ground at 6.30 we were greeted outside the Maine Stand with a baying mob asking us ‘where is he’ (presume they were waiting for Franny)
Me and my equally pissed mates and brother got picked up by my ex who after running over a cat dropped us at our kids as we were due to go out for a Valentines meal with respective partners. However, we fell asleep and you can guess how well that went (beginning of the end)

I went to Burnley for a pre season friendly v City circa 1993. It was the last game before that big end behind the goal was pulled down.
I went to a pre-season friendly at Stoke around the turn of the century.

I can’t remember the year exactly, but the D'Laryea twins playing were among the players used.

Not quite testimonial territory...so please bump or move as required....... but dies anyone remember the pre season tournament we played at Maine Rd, late 80s, Us, Utd, Athletics Minero and PSV, had completely dropped my mind until this moment. From what I recall it was all played in one day'
I think it was 2 games in the same evening - and then 2 the Final and 3rd place play off the next day. I think we lost against United on the first night but won the following night’s game. All games ended 3-1

I remember going to Freddie Hill's testimonial at Bolton.

City fans sang 'There's only one Nat Lofthouse' which surprised me. I didn't think most would have known who he was.

At the end, we were kept in for what seemed an age. I suppose the fuzz expected trouble.

I remember going to Freddie Hill's testimonial at Bolton.

City fans sang 'There's only one Nat Lofthouse' which surprised me. I didn't think most would have known who he was.

At the end, we were kept in for what seemed an age. I suppose the fuzz expected trouble.
Freddie Hill was one of the most skilful and talented players I’ve seen, pity he didn’t sign for us earlier.

Barnsley v City - Testimonial game for a Barnsley player who didn’t play for City?

May 1998 a few days after we were relegated at Stoke.

I went with half a mini bus of Leve Blues. We were the only City fans there in a very sparsely populated Oakwell. I think we lost which was no surprise.

I can’t find a record of it anywhere. I’ve searched the internet and archive copies of the Manchester Evening News. And nothing at all has turned up about the game.

Can anyone prove it actually happened?

@GaryJames - can you help with this one?

Did anyone else on here go?
The City magazine at the time covered it as the headline was I’d rather be in Barbados than Barnsley so assumed it must’ve been a wet night in Yorkshire

I remember one that I’ve never seen documented or heard about again. Burnley away around 1982. I remember nothing apart from being there, in the open end behind the goal.
That was Burnley keeper Alan Stevenson”s testimonial. We had Phil Harrington from Chester in the goals for us that night. I also remember a full scale pitch invasion after the game. I’m sure it finished 4=4.

That was Burnley keeper Alan Stevenson”s testimonial. We had Phil Harrington from Chester in the goals for us that night. I also remember a full scale pitch invasion after the game. I’m sure it finished 4=4.
Found this n clarets mad but I’ve no recollection of Peter Swales being involved in a half time penalty shoot out!!

That season also saw him receive a testimonial from the club. It was a special night against Manchester City and all credit to their manager John Bond who insisted that Trevor Francis and Joe Corrigan, who had been on England duty in Spain the night before, turned up on their return and played.

They both played in the second half and when Bond himself came on for City there were cries from the Burnley fans for our manager Brian Miller to do likewise. Miller didn't let them down. The two managers had also taken part in a penalty shoot out at half time alongside their chairmen John Jackson and City's Peter Swailes. Bond's penalty technique proved to be the winner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.