Gio....

Marvin said:
The moments of genius were memorable, and he kept the fans spirits up, but he was a floored genius.

We got moments out of him, and I mean just moments, by getting the rest of the team to play for him. Rarely did he control a game. He'd be anonymous for 25 minutes, then go on a thrilling run - if you were lucky

I don't agree with you, but let's say you are right........he went on more thrilling runs, scored more briliant goals and controlled more games than any other player at Manchester City from 1995-1998.

That's why he was so loved. He was a shining Caramac wrapper amongst a big pile of dog shit.

Of course he was a flawed genius. Again, you'll find that they make up 99% of all cult heroes in football, and if he was an actual genius, he wouldn't have been playing for us.

Damocles said:
The one thing that I always remembered was that people seem to put down his Southampton goal as his best, when in my opinion, he scored a better one. It was a home midweek game (I think in the FA Cup) against Leicester. He basically took on half the players again and gave a sweet finish, but managed to do it an a pitch that was utterly awful, knee deep in mud. it was that bad that there were calls to abandon the game in the second half. Nobody ever seems to remember this goal, even though it was technically better than the Southampton one. Perhaps I just have rose-tinted specs in retrospect, but I seem to remember thinking that it was an instant classic.

Yep, was against Leicester managed by Martin O'Neill in The Cup. We won 5-0 and I am sure Kinky had a hand in all 5 goals. The goal you're on about was slightly different than the Southampton one as he got the ball on the half way line, it was more of a direct run beating a couple on the way. Great memories and we should be grateful we had him.

Leicester goal on here....48 seconds in....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7BuNzATQsw[/youtube]

He couldn't tackle and never tracked back. He wouldn't last five minutes these days.

I have always found it extraordinary that City fans at that time could criticise Kinkladze when we had over weight players like Creaney a captain Kit Symons suffering a complete crisis of confidence and other limited players such as the Russels, Heaneys of this world.

This guy was the ONLY reason to turn up during those awful days. Alongside Maradona and Messi I have never seen any other player with his balance, control and ability to change direction at speed. He never needed step over like your Robinho's or Ronaldo's as his control and low gravity allowed him to glide past players.

As for not dominating games I can remember Villa, Newcastle,Oxford, Port vale, Notts Forest etc where he completely ran the game from start to finish. Like any flair player he drifted in and out of games but never have I seen a player more enjoyable to watch while supporting City.

An old friend produced a video for his degree of Kinkladze with a back drop to Manchester music. Two of the highlights of the video was City were about to kick off for the second half and the commentator says "its now a centre for Manchester city which is generally the cue for Kinkladze to attempt to break the world record for beating defenders" Kinkladze picks up the ball and beat about six defenders.....absolutely incredible.

Another highlight was Kinkladze stood with the ball under his foot next to the home supporters all shouting abuse at him. One of the defenders charges at him and without moving kinkladze uses his body weight to shield the ball and the defender ends on the floor, and in the background you can hear the cheer of the City fans... A true legend.

Marvin said:
The moments of genius were memorable, and he kept the fans spirits up, but he was a floored genius.

"Floored" LOL ! ?....they couldn't get near him to floor him!

I don't criticise his skill or technique, I criticise his end-product, and what he did for the team.

For an attacking midfielder he scored remarkably few goals from open play.

Marvin said:
I don't criticise his skill or technique, I criticise his end-product, and what he did for the team.

FFS mate! It's all relative. Considering the depths we plummeted while he was at the club I think he scored quite a lot of goals from open play for an attacking midfielder!

Marvin said:

He created a hell of a lot of chance though and linked the play fantastically. Most of his goals were spectacular as he wasn't the type to get on the end of things in the box and at that time there was little creativity in the team so he was the player to create opportunities rather than getting on the end of others creative play.

The guy was a genius and a privilege to watch, best player I have ever seen watching City

franksinatra said:
Marvin said:

He created a hell of a lot of chance though and linked the play fantastically. Most of his goals were spectacular as he wasn't the type to get on the end of things in the box and at that time there was little creativity in the team so he was the player to create opportunities rather than getting on the end of others creative play.

The guy was a genius and a privilege to watch, best player I have ever seen watching City

I'll second that.

The problem is though, when you look at the records of other players we have had at the club, Robinho included, and the teams they have played for then our arguments don't stack up. However, I've yet to get as much joy out of watching a single player at City since I started watching in 1984.

Arshavin is probably a good comparison in modern football. Similar builds as well. Although I think Gio was quicker.

I'll second that.

The problem is though, when you look at the records of other players we have had at the club, Robinho included, and the teams they have played for then our arguments don't stack up. However, I've yet to get as much joy out of watching a single player at City since I started watching in 1984.

Arshavin is probably a good comparison in modern football. Similar builds as well. Although I think Gio was quicker.[/quote]

I can only compare him to Maradona and Messi, predominatly left foot, same balance although and the change of spped and direction. Although I take your point about Arshavin.

I started watching in 1984 and no one player has captured my imagination like Kinkladze not just at City but at any club. Henry and Bergkamp were amazing players but never have I seen a player in any league have the ability to beat players so easily.

I understand the point about other clubs but in fairness many great players have failed at other clubs, look at Veron etc There is no doubt he didnt get the most out of his ability but if you read the book "the perfect ten" it suggests that was more to do with his insecurities as a person and troubled upbringing than football ability. Like someone said a flawed genius but a genius he certainly was.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.