Girona FC (partnership)

They've just won the promotion to La Liga for the first time in their 87-year history, don't think they are regretting it right now :)

I guess they didn't have 7 youth players from City in their team then though or I may be mistaken of course but I thought they had 2 players and played 1, it certainly sounds worse if we expect them to play our youth and get them ready to come home to City's first team.

I guess they didn't have 7 youth players from City in their team then though or I may be mistaken of course but I thought they had 2 players and played 1, it certainly sounds worse if we expect them to play our youth and get them ready to come home to City's first team.
Agree, it's hardly possible to play 7 youth loanees regularly and avoid relegation from La Liga. But that were just rumours. I think the plan could be much, much larger- to turn Girona into a training/transfer 'hub' with it's own youth system, modern facilities and several reserve teams on different levels (they've already bought one club last year in CF Peralada). The future could be very impressive for Girona.

Agree, it's hardly possible to play 7 youth loanees regularly and avoid relegation from La Liga. But that were just rumours. I think the plan could be much, much larger- to turn Girona into a training/transfer 'hub' with it's own youth system, modern facilities and several reserve teams on different levels (they've already bought one club last year in CF Peralada). The future could be very impressive for Girona.

Don't get me wrong, it is great news from our perspective, I desperately want a City team made up of ex youth team players, it is soul destroying to see promising youths whither and die and get sold off before they have even been given a half chance anywhere near the first team.

I did read about that div 5 team after posting earlier, so it may well turn out great for Girona.

City Group will have to be less than 50% owners as UEFA have rules on teams participating in the European Competitions.

How are fans of Girona taking this news ?

Not sure if back in our darker days that I would have welcomed the news of City becoming a feeder club for anybody.

With a bit of uncertainty. We'll see how this pans out in the end.

Brilliant from CFG.

This is going to be great. Having a partner in the La Liga is a huge advantage. CFG will do everything they can to keep them up. A massive, massive failure if they get relegated.

Looking forward to watching Girona grow as a club, can seem them making serious progress with CFG support. Eventually making them a CL team.

Why wouldn't their fans be happy? I don't think CFG is buying them for the sole purpose of loaning youngsters there. They higher they go the better it is for City as well. Maybe they'll be fighting for the title within 5 years!

this really is a game changer now player in between EDS and first team now can progress under our coaches and play against full professionals. cant have a B team ok well buy one FFP ha ha lets see the so called big teams sulk now

What's interesting, Girona's reserve team, CF Peralada, played this season in Tercera División (4th division), finished 2nd in their group and are now fighting for a promotion to Segunda B (3rd division)! Just for the perspective, it's a division where 16-17 olds can play vs grown-ups, as 2nd Spanish division is too tough for the majority of youngsters.

The final battle for promotion is today, 19:15 (local time), they'll play Rápido Bouzas in a return leg at home. The first leg ended 1-1, so CF Peralada have an advantage on away goals (though I'm not 100% sure if the away goal rule is applied for this competition). Historical day for the club, according to local press. Winning could be very important for CFG's future plans as I assume.

Don't get me wrong, it is great news from our perspective, I desperately want a City team made up of ex youth team players, it is soul destroying to see promising youths whither and die and get sold off before they have even been given a half chance anywhere near the first team.

I did read about that div 5 team after posting earlier, so it may well turn out great for Girona.

A good youth prospect having a good season in LA Liga will also do wonders for his transfer value.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.