Global IT outage

To be honest I haven't noticed a single thing apart from what I'm reading on here and the news.

All my usual sites including Bluemoon work, everything worked at work, my PCs at home work fine (no Crowdstrike) and my dodgy IPTV service is working fine as usual.

Our IPTV service better be working, we’re half way through the excellent series Presumed Innocent.

Has City been blamed Yet?
We did sign Savio yesterday after all. having said that we don’t use digital transactions just plain old cash and Manila envelopes.

Turned up at my gp surgery for a much waited for 45 minute breathing test at 4pm (they cancelled it two months ago as she was off sick - and again didn't let any patients know, and didn't have any availability for two months) and yep it's cancelled, and they didn't let anyone know that everything is cancelled today as "we couldn't access anyone's numbers". Good to see they don't even keep a paper back up list of patients. Missed out on my injection due today too, so will be well overdue when they can no doubt fit me in. Just really annoyed as how did the surgery run in the 80s, they did tests and wrote it bloody down. So something I should've had in May wil l now end up in Sept. Just cos their computer system was down.
and yes I know I sound like an angry old moaner!!!!!

Last edited:
Half the worlds down and my work is completely fine. Shit luck. You owe me one Mr. Gates

How many IT people have you asked? Because it’s not hard to explain.

Lots of systems and software didn’t account for needing 4 digits to write a date. People built fucktons of software on the basis of only needing 2 numbers to describe the date. Without the additional two digits systems would interpret things as happening in the past that were actually representing dates in the future which would break things. All you need is code that contains a basic if function, “If, today’s date is < other date, reject input” and it would render a load of software unusable.

The computers aren’t inferring anything, they’re not sentient they’re just following badly written rules where the people coding didn’t think far enough ahead.rom 99

As others have said the reason people have some conspiracy about it all being bollocks is largely because people did a hell of a lot of work to fix the issue.
Why, computers don't know where they are in time. Why should avomputer be baffled by going from 99 to 00? It's not a date in time to a computer it's a sequence.

Why, computers don't know where they are in time. Why should avomputer be baffled by going from 99 to 00? It's not a date in time to a computer it's a sequence.

What do you mean computers don’t know where they are in time? And you say it’s a sequence but seem to have missed the fact that at 99 the sequence stops and that’s kind of the whole problem.

Software uses the current date and time for literally everything. Your post has a time stamp on it that says you posted it “X minutes ago”. Every meaningful transaction that happens online has a time associated with it.

Imagine you wanted to search a database for news articles that were published after 2020, but your system is pre-Y2K so you input “all articles since 01/01/20”. Your database is now giving you everything that has been published from 1920-1999 and 2020-2024. This is about 16 times more articles than you meant to request which bricks your PC and kills the server.

Now imagine that same problem but when trying to sort through important financial transactions which have contracts attached and are time sensitive, or appointment booking systems, or basically any system that has timestamps or a clock.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.