Global Warming

There's even less time for humanity to try to curb global warming than recently thought, according to a new in-depth scientific assessment by 26 scientists from eight countries.

Sea level rise, ocean acidification and the rapid melting of massive ice sheets are among the significantly increased effects of human-induced global warming assessed in the survey, which also examines the emissions of heat-trapping gases that are causing the climate change.

"Many indicators are currently tracking near or above the worst-case projections" made three years ago by the world's scientists, the new Copenhagen Diagnosis said.

Nor has manmade global warming slowed or paused, as some headlines have recently suggested, according to the report, which you can see here.

<a class="postlink" href="http://copenhagendiagnosis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://copenhagendiagnosis.com/</a>

The scientists also calculate that the world's emissions of heat-trapping gases must peak in less than 10 years and then dive quickly to nearly zero, if warming of more than another 2 degrees Fahrenheit above the current annual global temperature is to be prevented after 2050.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/GlobalWarming/global-warming-report-finds-time-running/story?id=9159815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/Gl ... id=9159815</a>

I was off work last year for a considerable time. With all that time on my hands I did two things. I " Stalked" Bluemoon and eventually joined and I studied Enviromental issues.

Two things scare me in life.

City not winning another Trophy in my lifetime and Global Warming.

I never believe in conspiracy theories. Who shot Kennedy, Diana and MI6, the two towers - but believe me their is a conspiracy theory here. Right- Wing, Oil industry led to discredit Scientists and Enviromentalists in order that they can chase petro -Dollars and maintain " Business as usual". What do you think Iraq is about? No coincidence neither that Copenhagen is around the corner.

The issue itself. With China and the East industrialising at a phenomenal rate, the Ice Caps melting, the permafrost melting,
The Planets Lungs ( The Amazon) being destroyed maybe the " Tipping Point" has been passed already.

ifiwasarichfan said:
I was off work last year for a considerable time. With all that time on my hands I did two things. I " Stalked" Bluemoon and eventually joined and I studied Enviromental issues.

Two things scare me in life.

City not winning another Trophy in my lifetime and Global Warming.

I never believe in conspiracy theories. Who shot Kennedy, Diana and MI6, the two towers - but believe me their is a conspiracy theory here. Right- Wing, Oil industry led to discredit Scientists and Enviromentalists in order that they can chase petro -Dollars and maintain " Business as usual". What do you think Iraq is about? No coincidence neither that Copenhagen is around the corner.

The issue itself. With China and the East industrialising at a phenomenal rate, the Ice Caps melting, the permafrost melting,
The Planets Lungs ( The Amazon) being destroyed maybe the " Tipping Point" has been passed already.

Whilst i don't believe the "tipping point" (that's another fucking beauty) either exists or has passed, If it does and has been why the fuck are we worried about combating warming. We should be developing technology to help us exist in our mann made toasty new environment.

More cooling summer cocktails and better sunscreen is what we should be ploughing the money into.

If I was in power, and you had all better hope that I never am, I would take an entirely cynical viewpoint on the whole issue.

They claim that global warming causes freak weather events, such as blazing suns, hurricanes and massive downpours. I'd build wind farms, solar farms and tidal plants.

Then we have a shitload of free energy to play with after the inevitable collapse. Enough to not need to dig for oil. 2 birds, 1 stone.

MCfcBOB said:
Well I believe its true...

But Global Warming and Swine Flu, are both serious. But not as serious as the government make it out to be.

I WONDER HOW MUCH ENERGY THEY WASTED MAKING THOSE LOVELY COLOURFUL BINS?

Swine flu is not at all serious. a third of all kids in london had it already, most without showing any symptoms.

buzzer1 said:
I do know what you are saying also, but surely it would be so much easier to lie about the ETs etc as we as people do not confront these things everyday, we see the weather everyday so it would be much harder to manipulate the truth, as we see for our own eyes,everyday. My point is i suppose that it would be easier to withold the truth for centuries regarding ETs,just dismiss us as wacko's,where as they can only manipulate and blagg and sell us the moneymaking earthsaving gadgets that they now market,for so called Global warming.

Seeing the weather every day does not mean that you know the average global weather, temperatures, weather systems etc. etc. not only for today but also going back every year for hundreds - thousands of years. To get this kind of data takes lots of time, effort and money. The problem I have with Global Warming is that the whole thing has been jumped on by politicians and as a result has devolved into political games. Not only that but governments have gotten heavily involved in the scientific process and have, as always in their 'wisdom', centralized and tried to control the entire investigation. Other areas, such as evolutionary science, are very decentralised and thus pretty much impossible to control for nefarious purposes. It's be a mistake, if global warming was to be exposed as a fraud, to completely dismiss other areas of science.

Could the space faring governments of the world hide things they have discovered in space? it's be very difficult but, considering space exploration is still quite a monopolised venture, probably possible. However the bigger the secret the harder to keep secret of course.

Damocles said:
eshiers1 said:
i am doing a dissertation in the area, so in my opinion, there is no doubt that global warming is happening, and chances are it's only going to get worse

countries like China, India and the US continue to increase their CO2 (and other greenhouse gas) emissions and they will continue to do so

you just need to look at the stats!

the carbon concentration has gone from the average (from the last 400k years) of 280ppm to 375 and it's rising all the time

the same trend can be seen with the temperature, for the last 400k years the average has been consistent (with some natural variation), but in the last 200 years, the average has started to creep

doing my research i have come across some pretty grim predictions, some say we are screwed already, some say we'll be screwed in 10 years etc...but the overwhelming consensus among is that global warming is a huge danger, maybe not to us now, but it certainly will for all our grandchildren

this is a topic i am very passionate about, its something we need to sort out now, however, it's no where near the top of most governments agenda's at the moment due to the economical problems

i hope we sort it out before its too late, but I'm not holding my breath

Indeed, but (using the scientific basis only) what is the cause of this rise?

Is it a natural variation?

Do the figures taken urban heat bloom in to consideration?

When you say temperature, do you actually mean climate?

How did they calculate accurate results 200 years ago?

What climate models are your estimates based from? IPCC?

How do you explain the divergence problem in tree rings?

How do you explain the data that surface temperatures are still lower than 1998?

Why is East Antarctica gaining ice, if the polar climate is warming?

Why did the major increases in average temperature begin in the early part of the 20th century, yet the large scale carbon increases were in the late part of the 20th century?

Why do satellites show no warming in the troposphere?
--------------------------------

Just playing devil's advocate here, as I'm sure your assessors of your dissertation will.

These questions are good examples of why the data is so skewed. In any other science, most of these would be explained away easily, yet climatologists believe in a one world system of weather (or more accurately a system of interlinked systems) which leaves critics open to grab questions like these.
On Teletext sci tech news at this moment they say that East Antartica is actually losing ice. I only mention this because Ive only just read it. I personally think its all bollocks and just an excuse to bring in global carbon tax. Watch this space.

-dabz- said:
On Teletext sci tech news at this moment they say that East Antartica is actually losing ice. I only mention this because Ive only just read it. I personally think its all bollocks and just an excuse to bring in global carbon tax. Watch this space.

Typical news reporting. Here's the actual study:

However, in contrast with previous GRACE estimates, our data suggest that East Antarctica is losing mass, mostly in coastal regions, at a rate of -57 - 52 Gt yr apparently caused by increased ice loss since the year 2006.

So, it's either lost 57 billion tons of ice, gained 52 billion tons, or maybe somewhere in the middle.

Damocles said:
-dabz- said:

Typical news reporting. Here's the actual study:

However, in contrast with previous GRACE estimates, our data suggest that East Antarctica is losing mass, mostly in coastal regions, at a rate of -57 - 52 Gt yr apparently caused by increased ice loss since the year 2006.

So, it's either lost 57 billion tons of ice, gained 52 billion tons, or maybe somewhere in the middle.

The study is too imprecise to prove anything.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.