GMP confirm that Manchester is Blue (2011 parades)

guvnors son mcfc said:
The local reds who no longer go and the ones I speak to have no desire to return to OT and when you haven't been for ten years and you used to pay £15 to get in and now it's £50 your not likely to return.

Manchester isn't Blue and it isn't Red it's a load of bollocks
Didn't cost £50 or even £15 to stand on the street to see your team parade their title trophy though.

-- Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:52 am --

Tbilisi said:
guvnors son mcfc said:
We all know that there are thousands of the fuckers in Manchester.

Right up to the late 80's the swamp had plenty of local support on match days.

Once the glory years started they sold most of them out, treating them like shit and prices shot up, forcing them in to cup schemes and with the glory came the plastics, the tourists and the fans with money.

I dread this happening to our club but I can see it coming. Our fan base is spreading throughout the globe. It's a fact that people cling to success and want to be part of it and look to support the successful team.

The local reds who no longer go and the ones I speak to have no desire to return to OT and when you haven't been for ten years and you used to pay £15 to get in and now it's £50 your not likely to return.

Great post re prices and how clubs move away from fans but dont think it will happen as badly at City.As someone posted on here recently,"City chooses you",I think its a family thing thats passed down with City so we will always keep our core support.That said I am not going to the Final(I could get 2 tickets on first day)as I want 2 of my lads to go but cant justify the cost for me and the other lad to go,it would be close on £500 for the day once travel etc included.

The worst kind of u****d now are the local Pinks that dont go and just watch it on pub SKY,loathsome losers most of them.We will never be like them.

guvnors son mcfc said:

Once the glory years started they sold most of them out, treating them like shit and prices shot up, forcing them in to cup schemes and with the glory came the plastics, the tourists and the fans with money.

I dread this happening to our club but I can see it coming. Our fan base is spreading throughout the globe. It's a fact that people cling to success and want to be part of it and look to support the successful team.

Got to agree.

Prestwich_Blue said:
guvnors son mcfc said:

Didn't cost £50 or even £15 to stand on the street to see your team parade their title trophy though.

I know and agree with you, but after the twenty odd years of what they have won they don't give a shit and they are conditioned to winning at least one pot each year. It's all still very exciting for us. We have eaten scratchings from the chippy for 40 years and now we are eating fillet steak :) I will gladly take 20 more years of this and hope the buzz of going to places like Wembley never leave me.

Agree with Tiblisi 100%, there is nothing more vile than the vermin 'followers' in Manchester pubs who give it large, know all the nursery rhymes and generally act like complete knuckle draggers yet don't go and never have done. You hear comments usually derogatory about their many out of town fans but at least they attend unlike Mancunians who CAN afford to but prefer to go to the pub decked out in their AON tea towels abusing blues en masse. It means little to them in the grand scheme of things it is just something to attach too, reinforcing their sheep like mentality as they bask in reflected glory. I have no doubt that they have more followers in the area but the overwhelming majority of them are NOT supporters who still attend games or have a history of attending games, they are basically plastics.

I think that it's changed over the last 20 years. In the 70's, make no mistake, Utd had massive support from outside Manchester, even when Utd got 45,000 average. I'd say that in those days, City had the edge when it came to support in Manchester.

Since then, most impressionable kids in the area (and in the rest of the country) have gravitated to Utd, because it's been easy. They tend not to have the close family links and cultural links to the club that City fans have though. Let's face it, if you are 25-40 years old and you're a City fan, you deserve a medal for sticking with the club during your formative years. You probably did it because you either had no choice (your old man insisted on it), or your particular group of friends, also influenced by their fathers, supported City. Consequently, our support was essentially a 'local' thing and more to the point, you probably actually went to the game.

The 'typical' casual football fan in Manchester under the age of 40 is probably more likely to 'support' Utd. That support amount's to watching it on tv. The 'typical' City fan, whilst probably fewer in number are more likely to actually go to the game and actually turn up for a parade, because guess what, they actually give a fuck.

Outside the City (and this is a guess), I'd suggest that those who are City fans largely have a family, social, educational or historical link with Manchester, whilst those who are Utd fans, in huge numbers are glory hunting horrible shithouses with absolutely no link with the area and visit once a year on the annual 'pilgramage' with the East Anglia supporters club et al.

Hung said:
I think that it's changed over the last 20 years. In the 70's, make no mistake, Utd had massive support from outside Manchester, even when Utd got 45,000 average. I'd say that in those days, City had the edge when it came to support in Manchester.

Since then, most impressionable kids in the area (and in the rest of the country) have gravitated to Utd, because it's been easy. They tend not to have the close family links and cultural links to the club that City fans have though. Let's face it, if you are 25-40 years old and you're a City fan, you deserve a medal for sticking with the club during your formative years. You probably did it because you either had no choice (your old man insisted on it), or your particular group of friends, also influenced by their fathers, supported City. Consequently, our support was essentially a 'local' thing and more to the point, you probably actually went to the game.

The 'typical' casual football fan in Manchester under the age of 40 is probably more likely to 'support' Utd. That support amount's to watching it on tv. The 'typical' City fan, whilst probably fewer in number are more likely to actually go to the game and actually turn up for a parade, because guess what, they actually give a fuck.

Outside the City (and this is a guess), I'd suggest that those who are City fans largely have a family, social, educational or historical link with Manchester, whilst those who are Utd fans, in huge numbers are glory hunting horrible shithouses with absolutely no link with the area and visit once a year on the annual 'pilgramage' with the East Anglia supporters club et al.
I'm 31. So, cheers pal!

School was swarming with Rags. Kids who came from none football families started supporting them, kids from City supporting families started supporting them, kids who had been City fans and had been to Maine Road started supporting them. There were still a few proper Blues about though.

Hung said:

Very well said.

Caveman said:
guvnors son mcfc said:

Got to agree.

But I will say that on a good day the sky above Manchester is Blue.. :)

samharris said:
Caveman said:
guvnors son mcfc said:

Got to agree.

But I will say that on a good day the sky above Manchester is Blue.. :)
And there's no finer colour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.