Goalkeeper distribution

Falastur said:
Or he can play a short pass to the defence and not lose the ball every time.

I think one of the reasons Joe gets so much criticism - although he's better at it now - is that for a long time he had a reputation for putting the ball out for a throw-in when he was taking a goal kick - it just wouldn't even get close to where he was aiming. Any complaints we raise now are just a residual effect because we are used to moaning about his poor distribution - kind of like the way that City fans still prefer someone who runs around like a headless chicken but never stops trying to someone who doesn't track back but is always in the right place to get a shot off.

If my memory serves me right, when Sven was in charge, that was his instruction, and IT WOKS!!!

I think Joe's distribution has improved a lot last season, and will no doubt further improve in coming seasons. He will also get better on handling an commanding his area. What concerns me most at the moment is his positioning. I think he was at fault for Brazil's second when he was too concerned about guarding his right hand post, rather than being more central. As the ball came across and hit the angle, Joe was scrambling to get to it, and probably would of tipped it round if he was better placed.

bluemoondays said:
Time and again I see people complaining about Joe's distribution of the ball but, while I do agree it can use some work, why do people seem to assume a keeper can hit 40-50 yard passes and do it reliably.........?

Very few players.in the whole of the PL are good enough to do that and even the best passers of the ball probably have less than 50% pass rate when attempting these constantly. Why is a keeper expected to be different and be expected to punt 50 yard kicks and be expected to hit the target all the time?

Realistically, a keeper can only put it in the general area, it's up to the players near the ball to move to it and/or win the ball if it's 50/50. Joe is probably on a par with most other keepers in the PL, I'd guess most teams forums are wringing about their keepers kicking.......

Don't you see the numerous times in a game when the ball ends up in the stands as he has hopelessly misplaced a kick?

It's a big fcuking pitch, just keep it in play. He has defenders he can pass it to quite easily. "Choose the simple option" applies to keepers too. It was a great trait of SGE to have the keepers pass it to the defenders wherever possible.

The fact that it's a big fucking pitch is irrelevant when he's clearly passing to the touchline. A few that go out of play look ugly, but it's not really a big deal. If you're going to the sidelines and you miss, it's obvious that some will go out of play. It's up to the management to decide if that strategy is still worth losing possession a few times a match over it, but nobody would moan if the one or two times a match this happens (and it doesn't happen every match) were converted into completely unremarkable balls up the center that the opposing CB handled easily. It just sticks out in your brain more because it is unusual.

The throw/kick debate is far more interesting, at least. Still seems like it would be down to managerial instruction

stonerblue said:
I don't subscribe to the 'Hart can't kick' club. Nothing at all wrong with his distribution.
Great keeper but can't kick for shit.

His kicking is poor but throwing and passing is alright. Can he improve his kicking? I don't know.

It certainly seems natural to some eg Reina and De Gea etc but they have their flaws as well.

I think until he is very confident of hitting moving players or ones just stood there to just throw it or pass it to someone else! we give the ball away far too much from his "kicking".

ok,i posted this on the other joe hart cant pass thread,we seem to have one pop up every week,

ive never heard so much shit about harts kicking,for city and england who the fuck has he got to hit with a kick???.

hart has obviously been told to throw the ball out as quickly and safely as possible,you watch joe,as soon as he gets the ball hes on his toes looking to throw.

now if there is nobody to throw to he has to kick,straight away that has it at 50-50 in a window of 1ft or in reality pinpoint

lets look at the players he can kick to who have an above average of winning a high ball out wide because a goalkeeper who wants to retain possesion will never kick it straight down the middle,firstly city eeeeeeeeeerm no fucker,so he has to go wide,hes kicking a 50-60 yard ball to (usually milner).

now lets look at england eeeeeeeeeerm no fucker,so he has to go wide,hes kicking a 50-60 yard ball to (usually milner).

ive refrain from writing this explanation because it is so obvious ,well to anybody whose got a fucking clue about goalkeeping and football,of course his kicking needs working on but so does every aspect of his game hes a young very young footballer in terms of his position and will get so much better.

all these so called goalkeeping experts and the ignorance about this subject makes people look a little bit silly.

think about it 60 yard ball straight onto someone chest or head whilst that player is being jostled pushed and pulled and most probably on the move

joe is the best keeper in the prem,and i have no doubt he is in the 10 best keepers in world football at the moment,give him another five years he will be the best.

ok can we put this absolute bollox myth to bed please.

p.s and DONT get me started on the joe cant save to his left,because that is a bigger pile of shyyyte.

sir peace frog said:
joe is the best keeper in the prem,and i have no doubt he is in the 10 best keepers in world football at the moment,give him another five years he will be the best.

Among the 10 best in the world yes, not the best in the PL. Cech is still the best one, in the world top three I'd say, together with Neuer and Buffon.

I agree, I also think he could be the very best in five years time, depending on how others develops obviously.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.